Where do I go from here!?!

Huothel
Huothel
04/07/2023 8:43 pm

Hi Mike,

Hope you are well! Sure miss our Friday night live sessions on YouTube. Hope you can come back to that community as stated in my previous email.

I just finished Acoustic Guitar Level 2 with Anders and am contemplating where / what to do next.  I don't seem to love the song choices on Guitar Tricks?  Have been learning some other ones. Just feel like I am stagnating and need some ideas on what to do next.  Still very much a beginner but more advanced than before if that is possible.  Thxs for any suggestions.

HH

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/10/2023 2:02 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: Huothel

Hi Mike,

Hope you are well! Sure miss our Friday night live sessions on YouTube. Hope you can come back to that community as stated in my previous email.

I just finished Acoustic Guitar Level 2 with Anders and am contemplating where / what to do next.  I don't seem to love the song choices on Guitar Tricks?  Have been learning some other ones. Just feel like I am stagnating and need some ideas on what to do next.  Still very much a beginner but more advanced than before if that is possible.  Thxs for any suggestions.

Hello HH!!  Great to hear from you!

Congrats on finishing Acoustic 2! Here are a few ideas on where to go next:

1) Songs, songs, songs.  Keep learning songs.  If the GT song list is uninspiring, then look elsewhere.  Pick songs you love and that you'd really like to learn and play. Track down tabs if you can. Search YouTube for instruction videos. Anything you can do to keep building your repertoire is the single most important thing to be working towards. Also remember to take it slow, learn the parts in chunks (not all at once), and practice everything slower than actual speed. With lots of repetition at slow speeds, you're burning away the resistance from your muscles and fingers, and eventually it will be much easier to play the parts up to speed.

2) Have a look at this section of GT for extra acoustic guitar tutorials you may find helpful:
https://www.guitartricks.com/styles/acoustic

3) Perhaps start a different style course - many of the techniques and skills covered are directly applicable to acoustic guitar.

4) Keep playing every day. Record your playing and listen back objectively. Continue to work on the songs you already know and try to make them sound as good as you can!

Hope this helps!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.