I can't get my fingers on multiple frets...

stephane.malo
stephane.malo
03/06/2023 11:44 pm

So here i am, 52 year old bum. My son started playing guitar and I decided to learn as well.

I can't get my fingers 4 or even 3 on the frets at the same time. Other than breaking my fingers so they move, what exercise should I do?

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
03/07/2023 2:04 am

Do you mean like this, if so start with what you can lay down and keep trying to lay the 3rd and when you can do that the 4th

Spiders might help with flexibility, but don't rush it. Overtime your fretting hand will gain flexibility and strength. 

edited

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/07/2023 4:31 pm

All really good advice here!

I'll just chime in to say that you might consider, for now, leaving the pinky out of the exercise. 

This will let you work on the three other fingers of the left hand, with less strain and less frustration.

As your hand and finger muscles stretch and become stronger and more flexible over time, you can then add the pinky back into the challenge. 
Best of luck, and have fun!

- Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4
dredded_one
dredded_one
03/08/2023 12:37 am
#1 Originally Posted by: stephane.malo

So here i am, 52 year old bum. My son started playing guitar and I decided to learn as well.

I can't get my fingers 4 or even 3 on the frets at the same time. Other than breaking my fingers so they move, what exercise should I do?

Do you mean the dexterity or do you feel you lack strength to press the strings down at the appropriate angle?

Dexterity will come with time and you just really have to keep trying. Sometimes I have to move my fingers into position with my right hand and just hold them there to get my fingers to stretch out. As for strength this comes with time as well but it's easier to build finger strength through exercises as opposed to dexterity. There are some grip strength devices available at your local guitar center or the like that can help with finger strength. You don't really need that though but things are available if you think it will help. Mostly you just have to keep doing it over and over. 

# 4
stephane.malo
stephane.malo
03/08/2023 1:00 am
#4 Originally Posted by: dredded_one

Do you mean the dexterity or do you feel you lack strength to press the strings down at the appropriate angle?

Dexterity will come with time and you just really have to keep trying. Sometimes I have to move my fingers into position with my right hand and just hold them there to get my fingers to stretch out. As for strength this comes with time as well but it's easier to build finger strength through exercises as opposed to dexterity. There are some grip strength devices available at your local guitar center or the like that can help with finger strength. You don't really need that though but things are available if you think it will help. Mostly you just have to keep doing it over and over. 

LOL i did take my right hand to move my left hand fingers. Then they snapped back into the wrong position.

Thanks

# 5
rick0191
Full Access
rick0191
Full Access
03/12/2023 7:21 pm

I am having the same issue. 2nd finger insists on following the 3rd no matter how hard I try. Is there an exercise to break this? 

# 6
hickse70
hickse70
03/22/2023 11:14 pm

I found the following link helpful.

Finger exercise for guitar

I still have to assist my ring finger with my opposite hand, but I've noticed progress within a week of daily practice. 

# 7
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/23/2023 1:53 pm

Hi Hickse, that is perfect!

By helping your left hand that way, you are helping the muscles gain a new, wider, range of motion, plus increased strength and agility.

And with practice (repetition), you are seeing positive results! 

This is exactly how learning works. Bravo!

- Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 8
innocci
innocci
03/23/2023 6:16 pm

don't give up, I've known people who give up too soon. After while the muscle and recognition memory will come together. Remember your trying to get your hands to do something they haven't done before. When I was first starting out many years ago, I would practice moving from one chord to another while leaving my strumming hand completely out of it so I only had to concentrate on one hand. Fret board exercises will help as well. Even after all these years, if a part of a song is challenging for me, that part becomes an exercise. 

edited
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.