Terrible flexibility in ring and pinky finger

ninjaeric999
Full Access
ninjaeric999
Full Access
02/23/2023 6:09 am

Started playing a month ago. I have tried moving my thumb around, pushing my fingers with my other hand. No matter what, when I curl my ring and or pinky finger to fret the strings they point inwards at a 45 degree angle and my pinky almost 75. I have been doing finger streaches for a month now and chords are improving but any kind of chords like 5th fret b third fret a barley work. I can only get the strings down at the back of the frets resulting is buzzing or slipping over. Certian chords are seemingly impossible to hold even if I position my fingers first with my other hand. When i need to use my pinky on top of things like that it's even worse. It seems like the bone structure of my hands is keeping me from playing certian chords rather then a flexibility problem. Has anyone else had this problem? If so did stretching eventually help?

# 1
janettabloomquist
janettabloomquist
03/13/2023 5:35 am

It is common for beginners to struggle with fingering and chord changes on the guitar, and it is important to remember that learning to play guitar takes time and practice. Finger stretching exercises can be helpful in improving flexibility and dexterity, but it may not solve all problems.

If you feel that the bone structure of your hands is preventing you from playing certain chords, it is recommended to consult with a guitar teacher or a medical professional to assess if there are any underlying issues that need to be addressed. Additionally, experimenting with different finger positions and hand positions may also help in finding the most comfortable and efficient way to play certain chords.

Remember to practice regularly and be patient with yourself as you continue to learn and improve.

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/13/2023 1:00 pm

Are you using your right hand to fret?  Does your left hand have any more range of motion?  What kind of guitar are you using?  Have you tried other types of guitars?

I can't speak to having those specific problems but I do have tutorials aimed at improving finger strength & dexterity.

Warmup Stretches
https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial/1525/

Trill Drills
https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial/1829/

Building Pinky Strength & Dexterity
https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial/1292/

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
Jersey Red
Full Access
Jersey Red
Full Access
03/14/2023 11:08 pm

Hey Eric.

Rusty here. I started my journey in October of '20 with the promise from my pastor and the music director of my church that they would " take me under their wings" and help me learn how to play.

The odds were stacked against me from the get go. I was 61 and retired medically having had 4 major surgeries on my lower back, a three level fusion in my neck @ the C5, C6, & C7 levels, right shoulder rotator cuff surgery, which at this time looks like I will be having done again shortly. 

Carpal Tunnel in both wrists with nerve damage and arthritis in both hands, nerve damage in both arms, and yeah, arthritis. My fingers are weak and I can't perform the majority of barre chords simply because I can not press hard enough. Some three finger chords are out of the question, yet alone the four finger ones.

I have some degree of ADD which makes learning ANYTHING an uphill challenge. I can easily go to Guitar Center for a few lessons and literally foeget how to play what I just did an hour ago. 

I completely get the dificulties that you struggle with and you have my sympthies. 

The only reason I drug you through all of this is to hopefully encourage you in your journey, which , for me, I almost walked away from several times. Patience is not a virtue that I have oozing out of me, but my deep love of the guitar keeps me keepin' on. It seriously took šŸ¤”..... 9 months before I was able to play the lessons correctly that most folks accomplished in week 3.

The day I came home with my first acoustic I signed up with Guitar Tricks and am on auto renewal , this being my 3rd year. Do the work, no matter how good or bad you think you sound, study, try, and yeah, often enough you'll be upset and sound poorly, but it's all part of the process. TRUST THE GUITAR TRICKS PROGRESS!!

Best of luck and never give up. Never never never I tell you. Peace

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.