View post (Posture)

View thread

dredded_one
dredded_one
03/08/2023 12:45 am
#1 Originally Posted by: christodouloumarinos

I had lessons with guitar teacher for 6 months before I start GT . He insisted on holding the guitar the classic way (I'm learning electric though). I have to admit it feels natural and relaxed .Anders hold the guitar on his right leg, it looks cool so I gave it a try but in no way I can play like that,my question is what is the right way,I rarely see guitarists holding the guitar the classic way the electrics at least. What are your thoughts. Thanks. 

Both are acceptable. I feel sitting down classical is easier myself. Also Randy Rhoads used to play in the classical way as you do. 

I was told though that you should practice standing up with a strap. The positioning is not the same as seated and often things you practice seated don't translate well when you start standing and the guitar is at a lower position(depending on how you have the strap adjusted). It will help for times you might jam with a band and need to be standing up. It's not wrong to play sitting down but I think it makes some sense that the neck angle will be different and your hand positioning will change.