Posture

christodouloumarinos
christodouloumarinos
02/13/2023 8:38 am

I had lessons with guitar teacher for 6 months before I start GT . He insisted on holding the guitar the classic way (I'm learning electric though). I have to admit it feels natural and relaxed .Anders hold the guitar on his right leg, it looks cool so I gave it a try but in no way I can play like that,my question is what is the right way,I rarely see guitarists holding the guitar the classic way the electrics at least. What are your thoughts. Thanks. 

# 1
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
02/13/2023 12:05 pm

No one right way to play but maybe a right way for ease , less likelihood of injury to neck, wrists, shoulders etc.

I think you've answered this yourself. In the sitting position, playing off your left leg with neck about eye level you can feel how much squarer everything is up and down the body. Shoulders and hips square. 
in fundamentals Lisa advises a shorter strap with the guitar higher across the chest. Again, for the mechanics of playing the guitar. Cool can come later

As beginners we will put strain on new muscles ,tendons etc as we learn to play. we can minimise the strain by a good posture. As we progress strengthen and toughen up we can make slow adjustments until we can play in a multitude of positions even the coolest of cool.

In the beginning we need to learn to play the instrument , the look can follow on. Style over substance.

I play seated and changed early on to the left leg, foot raised by a stool  after suffering severe neck spasms which may or may not have been brought on by physical stresses before my body was accustomed to the guitar practice.

You can find YouTube vids explaining why the correct alignment saves back pain etc.

hope this helps

Dave L

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/13/2023 12:44 pm

Use a strap.  Standing or sitting, use a strap.  I cover posture here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial/1141/

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
christodouloumarinos
christodouloumarinos
02/13/2023 7:24 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: ddiddler

No one right way to play but maybe a right way for ease , less likelihood of injury to neck, wrists, shoulders etc.

I think you've answered this yourself. In the sitting position, playing off your left leg with neck about eye level you can feel how much squarer everything is up and down the body. Shoulders and hips square. 
in fundamentals Lisa advises a shorter strap with the guitar higher across the chest. Again, for the mechanics of playing the guitar. Cool can come later

As beginners we will put strain on new muscles ,tendons etc as we learn to play. we can minimise the strain by a good posture. As we progress strengthen and toughen up we can make slow adjustments until we can play in a multitude of positions even the coolest of cool.

In the beginning we need to learn to play the instrument , the look can follow on. Style over substance.

I play seated and changed early on to the left leg, foot raised by a stool  after suffering severe neck spasms which may or may not have been brought on by physical stresses before my body was accustomed to the guitar practice.

You can find YouTube vids explaining why the correct alignment saves back pain etc.

hope this helps

Dave L

thanks alot for your input on the matter

# 4
christodouloumarinos
christodouloumarinos
02/13/2023 7:24 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Use a strap.  Standing or sitting, use a strap.  I cover posture here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial/1141/

Hope that helps!

thanks alot for the link it is very informative

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/14/2023 2:06 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: christodouloumarinos

thanks alot for the link it is very informative

You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
tod.gentille
Full Access
tod.gentille
Full Access
03/01/2023 7:04 pm

Christopher thanks for pointing out that link. I have the strap on my guitar and I've been ignorning it. I twist my head down to concentrate on what I'm doing. I'm going to try it your way now! Not sure why this course isn't browseable from the beginner path in some way.

# 7
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/02/2023 1:07 pm
#7 Originally Posted by: tod.gentille

Christopher thanks for pointing out that link. I have the strap on my guitar and I've been ignorning it. I twist my head down to concentrate on what I'm doing. I'm going to try it your way now! Not sure why this course isn't browseable from the beginner path in some way.

You're welcome!  The tutorials are accessible from my instuctor page.  The reason my older GF courses are not linked on the landing page is that the Lisa & Anders versions are newer & it would clutter things up & make it less streamlined which is the goal of the courses!

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 8
dredded_one
dredded_one
03/08/2023 12:45 am
#1 Originally Posted by: christodouloumarinos

I had lessons with guitar teacher for 6 months before I start GT . He insisted on holding the guitar the classic way (I'm learning electric though). I have to admit it feels natural and relaxed .Anders hold the guitar on his right leg, it looks cool so I gave it a try but in no way I can play like that,my question is what is the right way,I rarely see guitarists holding the guitar the classic way the electrics at least. What are your thoughts. Thanks. 

Both are acceptable. I feel sitting down classical is easier myself. Also Randy Rhoads used to play in the classical way as you do. 

I was told though that you should practice standing up with a strap. The positioning is not the same as seated and often things you practice seated don't translate well when you start standing and the guitar is at a lower position(depending on how you have the strap adjusted). It will help for times you might jam with a band and need to be standing up. It's not wrong to play sitting down but I think it makes some sense that the neck angle will be different and your hand positioning will change. 

# 9
frankmaghler
frankmaghler
03/31/2023 12:38 pm

Guitar posture is major for playing guitar comfortably and avoiding potential injuries in the future. here i share some thing that help you.

Sit up straight , Keep your guitar at the right height, Rest the guitar on your leg, Hold your arms at a comfortable angle, Use a footstool. 

This will help a lot to get a good posture.

# 10
RonJ66
RonJ66
04/04/2023 1:51 am

You're not the only one friend.  I hated holding the guitar the traditional way.  

With the guitar on the left leg, neck slanted up close to the body, I feel so relaxed.

Very good post.  Glad I'm not the only one.

BTW, I think the guitar is held on the right leg for most, is because when your standing, 

this matches the natural position of the guitar.

# 11
innocci
innocci
04/10/2023 6:50 pm

I've been playing in the classical position for many years, even metal. Do what's comfortable for you, the sound is what matters, not what looks cool.

To be fair though, I'm 59, so looking cool is not worrisome to me.

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.