Playing correct strings in upstroke

SimonJA
Full Access
SimonJA
Full Access
10/10/2022 1:14 pm

Good afternoon all,

I'm struggling a bit on my upstrokes when it comes to not hitting the bass E in chords like A minor or D.

Any tips on that? I may try a pick switch for upstrokes in general, I've been using a D'addrario Classic .70 but i might switch to the .50 for extended strumming work.

Thanks

# 1
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
10/10/2022 9:48 pm

Good evening Simon,

You might find a lighter pick gauge will flop right out of your hand when strumming chords faster, especially if you're used to something heavier. 

With regards to avoiding the  Bass E, I recommend you pick one string at a time, individually, using alternate picking (up and downstrokes.) Downstrokes for every string towards the Treble E and upstrokes for every string back towards the Bass E. Practice alternate picking when holding down any chord (technique called arpeggiation covered by Anders in GF2, chapter 1.)

Or you can practice with open strings this if your fretting hand is getting stiff or tired. I practiced arpeggiation like mad at the very beginning of my guitar journey and it really pays off. Especially for focusing on picking strings without looking. This may seem tedious, but learning an instrument can initally be very taxing. So hang in there and don't hesitate to write back with more questions!

All the best,

Drake.

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 2
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
10/10/2022 10:03 pm

It also helps with coordination and accuracy when strumming full open chords.

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 3
SimonJA
Full Access
SimonJA
Full Access
10/11/2022 10:57 am

Brilliant thank you, I'll give that a go.

It's really the strumming that's catching me out, I can't seem to get jumping over the bass E when upstroking a chord yet. As you said though it's taxing at the beginnning and I'm teaching my body very alien movements. I'll definitely work on the arpeggiation and try taking it slowly to build the memory in.

# 4
SimonJA
Full Access
SimonJA
Full Access
10/11/2022 12:42 pm

Also when I was GF1 Chapter 2 - Learn and play Up up and away. It seems like Anders is strumming through the whole 6 six strings in that exercise during both down and upstroke. Unless I'm just seeing residual vibration. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something as it seemed a bit of a big chunk of information to miss out talking about not hitting the bass string your upstroke strumming of the Am, and C chords in that song.

# 5
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
10/16/2022 10:06 am

Simon

Anders does play all 6 strings when initially showing the upstrokes.

Easier than asking a beginner to miss strings in a playing a chord.

He does explain later that chords may be played only using some of the strings.

Only 3 low, 3 mid strings, 3 high strings. 

All for differing sounds

This also applies to upstrokes where he explains it's normal to only play 3 or 4 of the high strings in an upstroke and not to worry about playing all the 6 strings.

It's a stepping stones approach

Dave

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.