View post (FINGER PICKING CONFUSION)

View thread

afpierson
afpierson
04/02/2022 5:50 pm

I have gone round and round with this so much as to whether to use PIM or PIMA because instructors teach this differently. I have decided to use PIM instead of PIMA (taught by Caren who is no longer with Guitar Tricks, but she teaches this lesson in her old lesson for Travis Picking). What I don't understand and perhaps Lisa or Anders can answer this question is that Caren even uses her thumb (P) on the 3rd string when teaching using the PIMA technique. If this is the case, then why not just use PIM instead of PIMA. If we are taught to use the thumb not only for the bass notes on the 4,5 and 6 strings, but also use it on the 3rd string, then why even worry about any teachings with the ring finger.

I just want to be able to get proficient at finger picking songs and making nice melodies with chords and fingerpicking. I believe this means the way Lisa is teaching this with PIM, is the best way. Caren's way is good, but it totally requires you to change up your technique by including the ring finger when using the thumb on the 3rd string. This complicates th ings a little bit. Does anyone else agree?Can anyone else provide some advice.