FINGER PICKING CONFUSION

afpierson
afpierson
04/02/2022 5:50 pm

I have gone round and round with this so much as to whether to use PIM or PIMA because instructors teach this differently. I have decided to use PIM instead of PIMA (taught by Caren who is no longer with Guitar Tricks, but she teaches this lesson in her old lesson for Travis Picking). What I don't understand and perhaps Lisa or Anders can answer this question is that Caren even uses her thumb (P) on the 3rd string when teaching using the PIMA technique. If this is the case, then why not just use PIM instead of PIMA. If we are taught to use the thumb not only for the bass notes on the 4,5 and 6 strings, but also use it on the 3rd string, then why even worry about any teachings with the ring finger.

I just want to be able to get proficient at finger picking songs and making nice melodies with chords and fingerpicking. I believe this means the way Lisa is teaching this with PIM, is the best way. Caren's way is good, but it totally requires you to change up your technique by including the ring finger when using the thumb on the 3rd string. This complicates th ings a little bit. Does anyone else agree?Can anyone else provide some advice.

# 1
mjgodin
mjgodin
04/03/2022 12:36 pm

I think you should ask Lisa directly in her sub forum. Go to the main page and scroll down to the full access area and you will see all the instructors areas. [br]Also, if you haven't done so take a look at her fingerpicking course. It will explain everything you asked. It's very comprehensive and in my opinion should stand on its own as a separate style course or at least be easier for folks to find, but if you go to her directory of tutorials you'll find it there. Each lesson builds on the previous so start at the beginning and work through it. At some point she does talk about and demonstrate the difference in picking styles using the ring finger or not, but it's all still under the umbrella of the"Travis" method which involves using the thumb for picking alternate base notes. It's not always gonna be on strings 6,5&4. If the chord has the it's root note on the fifth like C maj or A min for instance then it's alternate note would be on the third string. That's why Caren did it that way. There are many topics on this in the forum that might explain it better than I can or like I said just ask Lisa directly and I'm pretty sure she can clear it up for you.

Hope that helps,

Moe

# 2
afpierson
afpierson
04/03/2022 1:15 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the assist.

# 3
innocci
innocci
03/26/2023 2:52 am
#0 Originally Posted by: afpierson

I have gone round and round with this so much as to whether to use PIM or PIMA because instructors teach this differently. I have decided to use PIM instead of PIMA (taught by Caren who is no longer with Guitar Tricks, but she teaches this lesson in her old lesson for Travis Picking). What I don't understand and perhaps Lisa or Anders can answer this question is that Caren even uses her thumb (P) on the 3rd string when teaching using the PIMA technique. If this is the case, then why not just use PIM instead of PIMA. If we are taught to use the thumb not only for the bass notes on the 4,5 and 6 strings, but also use it on the 3rd string, then why even worry about any teachings with the ring finger.

I just want to be able to get proficient at finger picking songs and making nice melodies with chords and fingerpicking. I believe this means the way Lisa is teaching this with PIM, is the best way. Caren's way is good, but it totally requires you to change up your technique by including the ring finger when using the thumb on the 3rd string. This complicates th ings a little bit. Does anyone else agree?Can anyone else provide some advice.

When you are teaching someone new to the guitar, or new to a particular style of playing, you teach the basic or traditional way of fretting or picking. Remember rules are a guideline, but rules can be broken as you become more experienced, as long as the result is the same. In the beginning of your journey, your challenges are going to be primarily physical, in the aspect of using your hands in a new way. Once your hands become familiar, and muscle memory develops, your journey will start becoming more mental and less physical. I always encourage to explore all genres of music when playing. I've found that different genres, produce different challenges which increase your skill greatly.

Just have lots of fun, and be patient. It's not a race, it's a journey.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.