Have any of you...

Sam101
Sam101
02/02/2003 3:58 pm
Ever used a Seymour Duncan FullShred? If so please tell me what you think.
I wanted to change the pickups in my Ibanez but I didn't want EMG's because
A: I have them Already in my Strat
and
B: I wanted a slightly more orignal tone

Don't get me wrong I love EMG's but I already have a guitar with EMG's so I wouldn't mind some suggestions for a
H/S/H config if you would be so very kind.

Cheers me dears
Being taught only robs you of your own creativity
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/05/2003 7:21 am
I've got some familiarity with DiMarzio pickups, but I've never used Seymour Duncan, so I can't comment on them.

Your technique becomes important here. With a new-design, hot, touch-sensitive pickup like the Tone Zone, you can get very expressive sounds. Joe Satriani uses it. The Fred is another pickup like this, with a slightly different frequency emphasis. The 'catch' is, that because it is so touch-sensitive, you need to be very consistent and controlled in your playing, or the results become unpredictable, and you may find yourself fighting to control the gain-generated overtones.

Something a with less sensitivity to attack, like the older style Super Distortion, or maybe the PAFF Pro, might give you better definition of the notes, a less blurred sound. But then you lose a lot of the expressiveness available from the newer designs.

Me? I play mostly Blues/Classic Rock. I use Super Distortion for the bridge, and a Super Clean Hum Bucker (SCHB) at the neck.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
oldpunker
oldpunker
02/25/2003 4:34 am
I use a Seymour Duncan Bridge Invader in 2 of my 3 electrics. Heaviest and most tone absorbent I have ever played. You'll know the invader when you see it cos it looks as intimidating as it sounds. Huge a$$ magnets and all black. This baby blew away the active EMG's I had on my Jackson V and completely smoked the stock pickups in any Ibanez I've ever owned.

It's just my opinion of course but the Bridge Invader does have insane sustain and incredible distortions.
We see things as we are, not as they are. - Anais Nin
# 3
GregoryB
GregoryB
02/27/2003 3:54 pm
Lordathestrings: The 'catch' is, that because it is so touch-sensitive, you need to be very consistent and controlled in your playing, or the results become unpredictable, and you may find yourself fighting to control the gain-generated overtones.

I'm curious, are EMG's anything like that? I've been thinking of EMG 81s in my jackson to get the kind of james hetfield-ish crunch. The thing is, now lordathestrings' comment made me wonder: how hard are EMG 81s and 85s to control?

Thanks
# 4
canuck7
canuck7
02/27/2003 7:46 pm
yeah, i didn't hear anything about EMGs being hard to control. i heard all about the Tone Zone and the control you need for that before, but the EMGs?
Thanks for listening to this small piece of me.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.