Fretted notes are not correct.

glen.menendez
glen.menendez
09/05/2021 1:21 pm

Hi - new player here. I'm having a "problem" in that my fretted notes are sharper than they should be. For example, fretting the A string at the 5th fret produces a note that is sharper than the D that I would expect. This is happening on both of my guitars (electric and acoustic) but more pronounced on my acoustic. Among other annoyances, this means I cannot reliably tune manually. Is this purely due to the travel of the string to the fretboard? Or is something else potentially wrong here? Anything to check here apart from the action (which I believe is normal)? Is this even something I should worry about?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/05/2021 2:26 pm

Hey & welcome!

Originally Posted by: glen.menendez

I'm having a "problem" in that my fretted notes are sharper than they should be.

[p]How much sharper? It could be high action, inferior strings or just improper technique (pressing too hard or slightly pulling the strings up or down too much perpendicular to the string length).

Can you post an example?

Or you might just want to ask a pro! GT's tech professional has his own forum for this purpose.

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/threads.php?f=30

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
glen.menendez
glen.menendez
09/05/2021 3:49 pm

Hi Christopher. In general, my fretted notes are 2 cents (about 7-8hz) higher than they should be. Not sure if I am worrying too much. The strings on my acoustic are a bit on the old side (and in fact are factory strings) so I will change them and try again. I will also look at my technique. I'd like to say that I'm doing it right but as I'm a new player, I will double-check that I'm not messing that up.

Thanks for the link to the guitar tech forum.

Thank you for the reply.

# 3
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
09/05/2021 8:57 pm

Try playing the note with just enough pressure to make it sound. If it was happening on just one guitar I would say it could be intonation, but it's more likely to be technique if it's the same on two different guitars.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/06/2021 7:22 pm
Originally Posted by: glen.menendez

Hi Christopher. In general, my fretted notes are 2 cents (about 7-8hz) higher than they should be. Not sure if I am worrying too much.[/quote]

That might worrying too much at this point. 2 cents is an incredibly small amount. Most people can't even hear pitch differences lower than 5 cents!

[quote=glen.menendez]The strings on my acoustic are a bit on the old side (and in fact are factory strings) so I will change them and try again. I will also look at my technique. I'd like to say that I'm doing it right but as I'm a new player, I will double-check that I'm not messing that up.

All good ideas! It is possible you just have exceptional hearing and fretting notes on even a properly set up guitar does sometimes result in a slightly sharp pitch due to:

1. The angle of the string when fretted.

2. Striking the string with a pick making a brief initial slightly sharp sound.

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes at your convenience!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
fernatom08
fernatom08
09/27/2022 8:06 pm

Thanks for the answers, similar problem

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.