Pulling it all together

driscolldavid4
Full Access
driscolldavid4
Full Access
08/22/2021 7:38 pm

Hi Mike: I have been working on fingerstyle technique for a year+, as well as a little strumming but not much flat picking. At this point I feel like I can change in time a little, have a good grasp of about six chords but I cannot really see how it comes together in playing music. What are your thoughts? How long did it take you to really start playing music? Thank you.

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/24/2021 2:19 pm

Hi there - thanks for your question!

My advice is to start learning to play songs you like! This is how you start to see all the work you've been doing come together. Choose 1 or 2 songs that you like and start working on playing them all the way through.

Sounds like you've been doing a little strumming but mostly fingerpicking, so try and pick songs that feature these techniques. Be sure to check out our Song list here on GuitarTricks, including the Made Easy song list that teach you beginner versions of popular songs.

https://www.guitartricks.com/songs/beginner

When I first started, I learned some basic skills and techniques in a guitar class, but after that I just tried to learn as many songs as I could, so I think that is the best suggestion I can give!

Hope this helps - let me know how it goes!

Mike

Originally Posted by: driscolldavid4

Hi Mike: I have been working on fingerstyle technique for a year+, as well as a little strumming but not much flat picking. At this point I feel like I can change in time a little, have a good grasp of about six chords but I cannot really see how it comes together in playing music. What are your thoughts? How long did it take you to really start playing music? Thank you.

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.