View post (Question about the "blues note" (b5))

View thread

Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/03/2021 2:12 am

You might want to try these ideas and concepts of the b5 over some blues backing tracks rather than a looper pedal. The backing tracks provide a more 'real' playing experience since they feature drums, bass, rhythm guitar, and sometimes keyboards too. And Guitar Tricks has a ton of blues backing tracks in various keys and tempos to choose from in the "Tool Box." Search under the "Blues" catagory to find them.

-Dave

Originally Posted by: dlwalke

Hey Dave,

If, for your solos, you stay on the I minor pentatonic scale (let's say A minor pentatonic) even when the chords switch to IV7 and V7 (e.g., D7 and E7), what happens to the blues note. I've never seen it placed anywhere in any of the blues box shapes other than a tritone away from the root of the I chord. However, if it stays there and you continue to use it when the IV chord comes around, you're playing the b2 (or b9) of the IV chord, and then when you get to the V chord that note is the maj7 of the chord. I doubt that either of those are particularly usable. Do you use it only for the I chord (assuming as I said that you stay on the A minor pentatonic scale throughout the chord changes).

On another "note" (haha), I regret that I will not be able to participate in the live blues stream this week but I will be traveling and will have to catch the recorded lesson when I get back.

Thanks

Dave