Happy New Year Mike!

phil90077
Full Access
phil90077
Full Access
01/16/2021 10:54 pm

Happy New Year Mike!

Since it is a new year, I thought it would be a good time to give you HUGE thanks in moving me forward as a guitarist (where others could not). Before I started taking lessons from you I could only play little parts of songs (lots of small riffs), but couldn't even play single song all the way through. Not only that, I couldn't do chord changes (open or Bar) at normal speed at all. Not even beginner level stuff.

Now having taken lessons from you over the last year, I am surprised how many songs (including some pretty challenging ones like 'You Really Got Me' and Hotel California - the hard version) I can play from beginning through the end (including all rhythm and solo parts) at full speed.

[br]It still amazes me how quickly you were able to teach me so much - I only wish I had taken lessons from you years ago.

Since I was unable to play any song in it's entirety, I was at a real impass after several years of trying youtube, other guitar sites, and 3 in person Guitar instructors, and you really got me moving ahead again when all that failed... Thank you so very much for all your fantastic instruction, coaching, and tips!

You are not only the best instructor I've ever had (and I've had several), but you've really made Guitar even more fun and exciting than it's ever been!

You really taught me so much last year that I can hardly wait to see how much we accomplish this year!

I'm looking forward to our next lesson.... I will be asking you if there's a ZZ top lesson that you think isn't too advanced for my current skill level (even though theres some lessons at a 3 Pick level, they for some reason seem harder to me than 'You Really Got Me' which is a 4 Pick Level but you were still able to successfully teach me that at full speed). Hopefully you'll have some 'magic' tips you can enlighten me with as usual....

Happy 2021 Mike! See you next week!

Phil

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
01/17/2021 6:22 am

This is great news, Phil! Thanks for sharing this.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/17/2021 1:55 pm

Thank you Phil for all your kind words, and I'm delighted to see the great progress you've made. I too look forward to all you will accomplish this year!!

As for the ZZ Top song, I'd recommend "Gimme All Your Lovin'" as a good one to start with. See you at the next session!

[br]Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 3
phil90077
Full Access
phil90077
Full Access
01/18/2021 6:04 am

Awesome suggestion Mike!

I tried some of the different sections and they are a blast to work on; challenging but not too difficult for me - I'll work on it before my lesson the end of the week...

Thanks again Mike!

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.