View post (Whammy bar)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/26/2020 4:49 pm
Originally Posted by: Nikriwi123

I read the following on another forum: "if you don't use the whammy bar on your Stratocaster you should have bought a telecaster instead".[/quote][p]There are some significant differences between a Tele & a Strat.

1. Contoured body.

2. Individual bridge saddles (although some newer Tele models also have them).

3. 3 pickups instead of 2 for more timbre variety.

4. Distinctly different overall sound due to the vibrato cavity & spring system.

And some Strats are made as hardtails, they have no vibrato system at all.

Further you can always simply adjust the spring claw in a Strat to pull the bridge plate down to flush with the body, unscrew the vibrato bar, put it in the case & play without every having to use it. I did that for a few years when I thought I was relying too much on it.

One of the pirmary disadvantages to a guitar with a bar is that if you use it it can be difficult, especially for beginners, to keep it in tune!

Originally Posted by: Nikriwi123and what is a "floated" deck?

It generally means a guitar with a vibrato system. As opposed to a guitar with a "fixed" system, in other words a hardtail with no vibrato system.

But there are also uses for the term. For example it could mean very specifically a vibrato system that "floats" above the body with enough clearance to pull the bar up & raise the pitch. Whereas some guitars with vibrato systems have a bridge that is flush with the body & you can only go down in pitch with the bar.

[quote=Nikriwi123]

the more I come across the complexity of the Stratocaster the more I believe i should just get a Telecaster.

You should go play some guitars for yourself & decide which one suits your musical goals, hands & body best; which one sounds best & physically feels the best in your hands. If that winds up being a Tele, then good for you! But at least you will know that you made a choice based on your own evidence instead of another person's non-specific advice.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory