Whammy bar

JOMJ
JOMJ
12/26/2020 1:04 pm

I read the following on another forum: "if you don't use the whammy bar on your Stratocaster you should have bought a telecaster instead".

Is that true?

and what is a "floated" deck?

the more I come across the complexity of the Stratocaster the more I believe i should just get a Telecaster.

"You find a lot of people these days who cannot stand to be alone. You could lock me up in solitary for weeks on end, and I'd keep myself amused."

# 1
edward992
edward992
12/26/2020 3:27 pm

Hi!

I am Edward Nordberg and I´ve played guitar for 7 years and Whammy-bar is one of my favorite things to use on guitar. However, that was not the case for a long time. It takes time to get used to every aspect of the guitar and I think it´s only good to have many possibilities, even if you don´t use them. So I think there´s nothing wrong with having a stratocaster with whammy bar without using it. It will come in time.

I believe "floated deck" in this case means a floating bridge, meaning a guitar with a bridge that is not directly connected to the body of the guitar. If you search for "floyd rose guitar" you will find the floating bridge.

The reason guitars have floating bridges is becuase it allows the player to be much more creative with the whammy bar becuase you can change the pitch level more compared to a bridge that is conected to the body. It is for example much easier to perform the "dive bomb" technique on a floating bridge. Famous players that use floyd rose often use whammy-bar techniques much more than guitarists that don´t use floyd rose.

For example, you can compare Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai. They are similar players (both shredders) but Yngwie uses a fixed bridge (connected to body) and Vai uses a Floating bridge. Becuase of this fact, you hear much more whammy-bar techniques in Vai´s playing compared to Yngwie´s.

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/26/2020 4:49 pm
Originally Posted by: Nikriwi123

I read the following on another forum: "if you don't use the whammy bar on your Stratocaster you should have bought a telecaster instead".[/quote][p]There are some significant differences between a Tele & a Strat.

1. Contoured body.

2. Individual bridge saddles (although some newer Tele models also have them).

3. 3 pickups instead of 2 for more timbre variety.

4. Distinctly different overall sound due to the vibrato cavity & spring system.

And some Strats are made as hardtails, they have no vibrato system at all.

Further you can always simply adjust the spring claw in a Strat to pull the bridge plate down to flush with the body, unscrew the vibrato bar, put it in the case & play without every having to use it. I did that for a few years when I thought I was relying too much on it.

One of the pirmary disadvantages to a guitar with a bar is that if you use it it can be difficult, especially for beginners, to keep it in tune!

Originally Posted by: Nikriwi123and what is a "floated" deck?

It generally means a guitar with a vibrato system. As opposed to a guitar with a "fixed" system, in other words a hardtail with no vibrato system.

But there are also uses for the term. For example it could mean very specifically a vibrato system that "floats" above the body with enough clearance to pull the bar up & raise the pitch. Whereas some guitars with vibrato systems have a bridge that is flush with the body & you can only go down in pitch with the bar.

[quote=Nikriwi123]

the more I come across the complexity of the Stratocaster the more I believe i should just get a Telecaster.

You should go play some guitars for yourself & decide which one suits your musical goals, hands & body best; which one sounds best & physically feels the best in your hands. If that winds up being a Tele, then good for you! But at least you will know that you made a choice based on your own evidence instead of another person's non-specific advice.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
JOMJ
JOMJ
12/26/2020 5:13 pm

Thanks!

if I never put in the whammy bar, can I still use the strat or do i then also need some modifications?

And, in general, do you think a strat is better for a beginner or a telecaster?

I am going to do the blues track after fundamentals. I love blues, and also old rock n roll... but also enjoy soul, jazz hiphop.

I am a big Rolling Stones fan which brings me too the Tele.

"You find a lot of people these days who cannot stand to be alone. You could lock me up in solitary for weeks on end, and I'd keep myself amused."

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/26/2020 7:02 pm
Originally Posted by: Nikriwi123

if I never put in the whammy bar, can I still use the strat or do i then also need some modifications?[/quote]

No. You might to have it adjusted. Screw the claw plate in the vibrato cavity in far enough to keep the bridge from moving when you bend strings. But this is very simple & takes 1 minute and a Phillips heads screwdrive.

For what it's worth any electric guitar is likely going to need a basic setup: new strings, string height adjusted for beginner, bridge saddles adjusted for intonation, possible neck adjustment.

Originally Posted by: Nikriwi123And, in general, do you think a strat is better for a beginner or a telecaster?[/quote]

Either is fine. You really need to play at least one of each to decide for yourself. I get the simplicity of the Tele is appealing. But either can work for a beginner.

[quote=Nikriwi123]I am going to do the blues track after fundamentals. I love blues, and also old rock n roll... but also enjoy soul, jazz hiphop.

Either guitar is fine for any of those styles.

[quote=Nikriwi123]

I am a big Rolling Stones fan which brings me too the Tele.

Then you've probably seen Keith Richards playing a Strat with the vibrato bar simple removed. :)

https://images.equipboard.com/uploads/source/image/5352/big_Keith_RichardsCLOSE_UP.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/50/f5/d1/50f5d1cd5398aabb6058741dcce07f70.jpg

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 5
JOMJ
JOMJ
12/26/2020 7:11 pm

I think I need to wait until our total lockdown is over because I wanted to "just order" but that does not seem smart :)

# 6
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
12/26/2020 7:17 pm

That is a good call. Go see what fits your body, ambition, and skill level. Only one way to do that...

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 7
JOMJ
JOMJ
12/26/2020 8:54 pm
Originally Posted by: snojones

That is a good call. Go see what fits your body, ambition, and skill level. Only one way to do that...

yeah? Is it a bad idea to "just order"?

# 8
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
12/28/2020 10:23 pm

don't overthink it. Enjoy the stratocaster, it is a great and diverse guitar.

There are plenty of internet "experts," but take it with a grain of salt. Look at what your guitar heroes play and how they play the instrument. And, as you can see, Keith Richards plays a strat (without whammy bar) as well, he does not always play a telecaster.

By the way, I am not a strat person, but I appreciate its diversity and many of the players who inspire me to play use stratocasters.

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 9
JOMJ
JOMJ
12/29/2020 11:30 am

Yeah perhaps the Strat is just a bit better for the beginner. I can't go to the store now because of lock down. Also, the store after lockdown will also be very busy. So I am just going to order. The store has a 120 day no-ask return policy, so if I hate the strat I will just get the tele.

I am going to buy the Fender Player in january.

# 10
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/29/2020 12:37 pm
Originally Posted by: JustOnMyJourneySo I am just going to order. The store has a 120 day no-ask return policy, so if I hate the strat I will just get the tele.

Great plan! Best of success with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 11
JOMJ
JOMJ
12/29/2020 12:46 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel
Originally Posted by: JustOnMyJourneySo I am just going to order. The store has a 120 day no-ask return policy, so if I hate the strat I will just get the tele.

Great plan! Best of success with it!

Thanks! Looking forward taking your courses after fundamentals and perhaps get some 1-on-1 training :)

# 12
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
12/29/2020 8:49 pm

keep us posted and include pictures once you get it.

Originally Posted by: JustOnMyJourney

Yeah perhaps the Strat is just a bit better for the beginner. I can't go to the store now because of lock down. Also, the store after lockdown will also be very busy. So I am just going to order. The store has a 120 day no-ask return policy, so if I hate the strat I will just get the tele.

I am going to buy the Fender Player in january.

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.