View post (Whammy bar)

View thread

edward992
edward992
12/26/2020 3:27 pm

Hi!

I am Edward Nordberg and I´ve played guitar for 7 years and Whammy-bar is one of my favorite things to use on guitar. However, that was not the case for a long time. It takes time to get used to every aspect of the guitar and I think it´s only good to have many possibilities, even if you don´t use them. So I think there´s nothing wrong with having a stratocaster with whammy bar without using it. It will come in time.

I believe "floated deck" in this case means a floating bridge, meaning a guitar with a bridge that is not directly connected to the body of the guitar. If you search for "floyd rose guitar" you will find the floating bridge.

The reason guitars have floating bridges is becuase it allows the player to be much more creative with the whammy bar becuase you can change the pitch level more compared to a bridge that is conected to the body. It is for example much easier to perform the "dive bomb" technique on a floating bridge. Famous players that use floyd rose often use whammy-bar techniques much more than guitarists that don´t use floyd rose.

For example, you can compare Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai. They are similar players (both shredders) but Yngwie uses a fixed bridge (connected to body) and Vai uses a Floating bridge. Becuase of this fact, you hear much more whammy-bar techniques in Vai´s playing compared to Yngwie´s.