View post (Skill level on 40 minutes a day)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
12/19/2020 2:58 am
Originally Posted by: Nikriwi123

Do you play professionally?

40 minutes of warm up?

I am happy if I get in a hour.

I have more spare time than most but that's not the issue.

If one wants to learn, one will find the time. IMO; however,the less time one thinks is available, the more disciplined he/she should be. Find a fixed time or times for practice, set a minimum time for the sessions and stick to it (or go over it), make sure that time is fingers on strings practicing something in your lesson plan (yeah... have one of those, too). The point is, whatever time you think is available to practice make use of that time in the most effcient way. Plan ahead. Be happy with your hour but don't allow yourself to slack off.

The more you think guitar time is short, the more disciplined you should be if you want to keep progressing. Be patient with yourself but be disciplined. Have fun but dedicate yourself.

snojones is right about expectations. As one online site says, 'it only looks easy because the player you are watching already knows how.' It's not going to be a snap but it's gonna be a blast if you let it.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins