Skill level on 40 minutes a day

JOMJ
JOMJ
12/18/2020 10:48 am

I have the feeling I am posting a bit much, so if that's the case, just let me know. But, I have no people around me in real life who play guitar or play an instrument so I finally can ask some questions I have.....

I am wondering.

Is it in any way possible telling, on average, what somebody can achieve in 1 year of practicing +- 40 minutes a day?

Let's say I have no talent what so ever, I have the rhythm of a old lady who try to pass the street.

"You find a lot of people these days who cannot stand to be alone. You could lock me up in solitary for weeks on end, and I'd keep myself amused."

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/18/2020 12:20 pm

Post away.

I am about to hit a 2 year anniversay on Jan 1 '21. In that time here is what I have been able to acheive with 1 hour per day, everyday. I have not missed a single day of practice in that time:

When I started I did not really know what a chord was. I remember hearing Rod Stewart joke about 3 chords songs and I just thought chords were the things that put songs together but nothing beyond that.

On my very 1st lesson with a teacher I was asked if I knew what 1- 4- 5 was. Nope, not the foggiest.

I was asked if I knew any scales. I wasn't even sure what a scale was. We learned some kind of doe rae me thing in grade school, but that was close to 50 years ago.

I was asked what I wanted to do. I said I would be happy if I could play just one song on the guitar I purchased when I was 17. Just one song I would be happy.

So, I now know the chords I need to know (there are a lot of chords) and I can either write songs or play my favorite songs. And I have the confidence that I can learn what I need to learn to accomplish whatever it is I need to accomplish - say a new song.

I am pretty good with scales now, to the point that if I know what key we are in (I still can't pick it by ear), I can jam along at least at some level - read not Slash - more like an old guy with a guitar who has some knowledge and can jump in to contribute - but then fades out to sort his brain out and where the song is at. I can also use my knowledge of scales to write licks to the songs I write, which leads me to the 1 - 4 - 5 thing. I now have enough knowledge of theory that I can put songs together using my knowledge of the various keys. Throw some words on paper and voila! I have a song. Is it good? Who knows. Most of my songs are off the cuff and about nothing serious. Like my cat left Scotland - "My cat left Scotland just the other day, he said so long I'm going away. You can tell that dog he's no friend of mine and the sooner hes dead it'll just be fine"...

The song in the link below was written the day after my son broke up with his girlfriend of 3 years. I am not exactly a warm and fuzzy dad, but through music I was able to give my son something to say "hey, this hurts, but you have memories and time moves on. So think back fondly, but eyes forward".

https://youtu.be/d2kh4Zs_3JM

I enjoy writing and it is a great exercise.

Skill in playing: I would say I am a sloppy player overall and really don't do well at songs over a certain tempo, but if it is a song I have practiced a lot and is within my "tempo range" I tend to chug along ok. At my age I am not going to learn to play like Stevie Vai. So I don't kid myself.

So, hope that helps. Time in and a genuine interest in learning is what will propel you.

Good luck.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
12/18/2020 2:31 pm

1. Everybody is different and learns guitar at different rates.

2. It's not a competition.

3. There will always be thousands better than you, and thousands not as proficient as you.

4. You are better than you were yesterday, not as good as you will be tomorrow. Keep practicing and you will keep improving.

Individual progress depends on the amount of work put into it. Some don't have to work as much but everyone has to put in the time. Control your expectations; does anyone find guitar easy and quick? "+-" 40 minutes a day? I wish I could get by on that. Right now, my [u]first[/u] 40 minutes are devoted to warm-up; dexterity and finger independence exercises, but that's me. You, like thousands of others, may pick up guitar skills quicker than I do.

The key - always have fun. Work, be disciplined in that work, but have fun. See the Chet Atkins quote below and find inspiration in William MG's discipline in post #2 above.

Good luck, have fun.

john

EDIT: I'm amazed at how fast GT members advance. I attribute most of the success to the GT lesson plan and the instructors. I wish I had both when I was a kid.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
JOMJ
JOMJ
12/18/2020 4:18 pm

Do you play professionally?

40 minutes of warm up?

I am happy if I get in a hour.

"You find a lot of people these days who cannot stand to be alone. You could lock me up in solitary for weeks on end, and I'd keep myself amused."

# 4
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
12/18/2020 5:41 pm

Much of what makes people stop playing guitar is expectations. I would suggest you avoid the "How good will I be in a year" thinking. Playing an instrument is a journey that is accomplished at your body's own pace. You can't go any faster than your body will allow. If you put in 40 minutes a day, you will be a much better guitar player. That is pretty straight forward, but focusing on where you will be in a year is just a deflating tease. You willl be, what you will be,no matter how much you thrash your self to chase the illusive "what I should be by now". That pitfall is the end of many aspiring guitarist.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 5
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
12/19/2020 2:58 am
Originally Posted by: Nikriwi123

Do you play professionally?

40 minutes of warm up?

I am happy if I get in a hour.

I have more spare time than most but that's not the issue.

If one wants to learn, one will find the time. IMO; however,the less time one thinks is available, the more disciplined he/she should be. Find a fixed time or times for practice, set a minimum time for the sessions and stick to it (or go over it), make sure that time is fingers on strings practicing something in your lesson plan (yeah... have one of those, too). The point is, whatever time you think is available to practice make use of that time in the most effcient way. Plan ahead. Be happy with your hour but don't allow yourself to slack off.

The more you think guitar time is short, the more disciplined you should be if you want to keep progressing. Be patient with yourself but be disciplined. Have fun but dedicate yourself.

snojones is right about expectations. As one online site says, 'it only looks easy because the player you are watching already knows how.' It's not going to be a snap but it's gonna be a blast if you let it.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.