D MAJOR !!!???

jadaldouglas
jadaldouglas
12/17/2020 10:06 pm

Am I the only one that canNOT make this cord? I skipped head to the last 3 of the powerpack and - Now I'm scared. I had gotten so comfortable and this is a whole new level of difficulty and pain. Can someone PLEASE give me some advice? I may officially be stuck.

# 1
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
12/17/2020 11:18 pm

I had difficulty with it. Just know that, with practice, you will be able to play it. It comes with different speeds for everybody. I wouldn't get too hung up on it and don't try and get it perfect. A few months from now you will be playing it and every string will sing out perfectly clean.

My thought is to get it "Sort of ok" and come back to it daily and practice. Move on.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 2
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
12/18/2020 6:31 am

Try other D chords, if you can play them better. Dm or D7 for example. Once you got one of them going, then it is easier to tackle D major. I learned Dm first.

D5 would be a nice shortcut too, as you only need 2 fingers (but use the ones you would use with D major)

D5:

e --------

B ---3---

G ---2---

D ---0---

A --------

E --------

# 3
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
12/19/2020 5:34 am

I had a really hard time with this chord a couple months ago, too. I came here to the forum where I got some tips to just keeep trying. So, I kept trying but I also went back and reviewed the video for the d chord and d chord changes. Then I had an "aha moment" and realized that I had been doing a few things wrong. I was then able to correct what I was doing and I finally got the D chord. I came back to the forum,super excited, and shared my success at finally getting it.

So my advice is to watch Lisa make the D chord over and over and over and over. You may see what you are doing wrong or can improve upon and I'm sure with tons of practice you will get it.

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 4
diego-pacifici
diego-pacifici
12/27/2020 11:01 am

Hi!

This chord was quite tough for me as well. I'm still slow in some changes, but in the usual progression with Em, G and C it comes quite well at this point.

The moment of revelation to me was the direction of fingers. On top of having them straitht, with space with the bottom of the neck, etc, I also realized to keep them very diagonal with tips oriented towards the body of the guitar. The thing is that normally you come "frontally" with your fingers, but with D is not effective, as most likely at least one of the 3 is not gonna sound, in my case was index, as it was remaining too far from the metal of the fret. When I place my finger in diagonal, all fingers can slide easier towards the metal, and voila it rings much better. Watch out also middle finger, as in my case it tends to slip beyond it fret. Have a look at videos and pay attention to this, you will see what I mean by diagonal. Then compare to yours and check if you are oriented this way. At least this made the trick for me. Good luck!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.