Various types of scales using a root note

Philip Charles
Philip Charles
09/27/2020 5:11 pm

Hi! there, Once again with a question,

Just I went through the scales in the internet & saw there are many different types of scales using a root note, sounds pretty different, creates different mode, and some have 7 notes, some have 5 notes unlike major and minor scales.

I thought that there is only major, minor & pentatonic scales but there are other scales like lonian, dorian, phrygian, mixolydian, lydian, etc...

Q 1. Can we use these different types of scales to play chords based on 1 3 5 note theory in a scale ?

Q 2. Will it suit for playing any songs?

Q 3. Do each scales generate different mode for the song??

Q 4. Do each of these scales used specifically to express feel/mode of music or can be used normally in any circumstances

- Charles

# 1
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
09/27/2020 8:06 pm

There is a scale finder in the toolbox.

and a chord finder for all those varying scales

Suppose you just experiment

# 2
Philip Charles
Philip Charles
09/28/2020 6:33 am

Oh! Great!,

Thanks for telling me, once I went through the toolbox, but I didn't pay much attention on it, as u said, there are many tools that would help us to experiment the scales and chords. Thanks for reminding me

Charles

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/28/2020 11:56 am
Originally Posted by: Philip CharlesI thought that there is only major, minor & pentatonic scales but there are other scales like lonian, dorian, phrygian, mixolydian, lydian, etc...[/quote]

Those are all just modes of the major diatonic scale. I cover modes in depth in these tutorials.

Modes of the Major Scale

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=370

Practicing Modes

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=770

But yes, they all have different sounds because they have different interval formulas! Fun stuff!

Originally Posted by: Philip CharlesQ 1. Can we use these different types of scales to play chords based on 1 3 5 note theory in a scale ?[/quote]

Yes, you can apply triadic chord harmony to any diatonic scale. I cover that in the tutorials linked above. It might help to get clear on how that works for standard scales as well as altered scales. I cover that in these tutorials.

Major Scale Harmony

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2387

Minor Scale Harmony

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2393

Altered Minor Scales

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2396

Originally Posted by: Philip CharlesQ 2. Will it suit for playing any songs?

The sound of any given scale or modes is determined by its unique interval formula. So, get used to the sound of each scale or mode. Then you decide which scale or mode to use in any song by whether or not it's sound works for your purpose in that song or piece of music.

In short, your question is like asking, "Can I use any tool for any job?" The answer is, "You need to pick the right tool for the specific job you are doing." Make sense?

[quote=Philip Charles]Q 3. Do each scales generate different mode for the song??

Each scale generates its own modes. But you have to decide by the sound & the harmony if it works for the song you are playing.

[quote=Philip Charles]

Q 4. Do each of these scales used specifically to express feel/mode of music or can be used normally in any circumstances

[p]

Each scale or modes has it's own unique interval formula that creates it's own unique sound. Assigning a specific emotion or feeling to each mode is up to each individual musician as they learn, practice & experiment with them.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
Philip Charles
Philip Charles
09/29/2020 2:31 pm

Hi! Mr. Christopher,

Once again glad to read ur words,

Usually at the end, for every message u notate these words 'hope this helps', accordingly it always helps me, as usual this time also it helps me much

I like these words with crystal clear explanation,

"In short, your question is like asking, "Can I use any tool for any job?" The answer is, "You need to pick the right tool for the specific job you are doing." Make sense?"

Really it sense me.

Little by little I'm developing the music knowledge, thanks for supporting to acheive it.

Charles

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/29/2020 3:18 pm
Originally Posted by: Philip Charles

Little by little I'm developing the music knowledge, thanks for supporting to acheive it.

Good deal! Glad it helped & made sense. Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6
Philip Charles
Philip Charles
09/29/2020 4:42 pm

Thank you very much Mr. Christopher

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.