"In a big country" acoustic (made easy)

andyhoge
andyhoge
09/15/2020 5:17 am

Hi Mike - I recently joined the site and am really loving it! Thanks to you and the whole team for making this site a reality. : )

Quick question: I see you have done a full tutorial for "In a big country" by the band Big Country for electic guitar - is it possible to somehow get a stripped down, acoustic-only, guidance/assistance on this song?

There is a great cover of this song on youtube (posted on 2-Jul-2011 by username "cewiewenn"). I love how he played the guitar in this version. The guitar playing is inspirational to me for some reason! Sounds very bouncy and upbeat versus the anthem-like thundering original.

But being a newbie (but with growing skills thanks to you folks), I am a bit lost as to which actual chords he is playing, and the sequence of chords etc.

Might be a long-shot given copywrite etc but thought I'd ask.

Keep up the great work!

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/16/2020 12:37 pm

Hi Andy - welcome!! Thanks so much for the kind words!

That acoustic version from youtube is very cool indeed. Unfortunately, at this time, there are no plans to teach alternate versions of that song.

However, he is using the same key and chord progressions from the original version that we are teaching on the site. So go ahead and learn Guitar 1's parts, which are the chord progressions played throughout the song.

The trick to make it sound more like the stripped down version, is to play the chords with the top 2 strings open (B and hi E strings). This gives a rich, suspended type sound that works great on acoustic. Since the song is in the key of E, those open strings work very well combined with the chords from the key.

He slows down the tempo, and adds a touch of a swing to the groove to give a different feel. I think with a little experimentation, you can get close to his version.

Give it a try, and let me know how it goes!

Mike

Originally Posted by: andyhoge

Hi Mike - I recently joined the site and am really loving it! Thanks to you and the whole team for making this site a reality. : )

Quick question: I see you have done a full tutorial for "In a big country" by the band Big Country for electic guitar - is it possible to somehow get a stripped down, acoustic-only, guidance/assistance on this song?

There is a great cover of this song on youtube (posted on 2-Jul-2011 by username "cewiewenn"). I love how he played the guitar in this version. The guitar playing is inspirational to me for some reason! Sounds very bouncy and upbeat versus the anthem-like thundering original.

But being a newbie (but with growing skills thanks to you folks), I am a bit lost as to which actual chords he is playing, and the sequence of chords etc.

Might be a long-shot given copywrite etc but thought I'd ask.

Keep up the great work!

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
andyhoge
andyhoge
09/19/2020 8:28 pm

Thank you so much Mike - I will work on this.

All the best to you and yours!

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.