Thunder

armandoguitar
armandoguitar
09/03/2020 6:48 pm

Hi Mike

I am studing your lessons on the song Thunder by Imagine Dragons.

I have choosen this song as it is relatively simple to play but also because it really is not, originally, a guitar song, so I can see how to "create" a musical rhythm on the guitar.

May I ask how did you come out on the strumming patter of the chorus? On the original tune I can hear a strong drum rhythm, are you just following it?

Thanks in advance

Armando Guitar

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/04/2020 2:01 pm

Hi Armando! I simply chose a strumming pattern that felt good to play over that section.

Generally speaking, following the drum rhythm and locking with it is a great method for creating a strumming pattern.

In this case, however, I chose to accent some beats that the drums do not. Still, in the end, it felt natural to me while staying locked with the groove. Also, consider that I stayed locked with a straighter strum approach in the verses, so opening up to a more syncopated strum in the chorus provides a great contrast in the arrangement.

So, I always recommend trying to lock your strums to the groove of the drums or rhythm section, but always feel free to experiment and see what feels best to you!

Hope this helps!

Mike

Originally Posted by: armandoguitar

Hi Mike

I am studing your lessons on the song Thunder by Imagine Dragons.

I have choosen this song as it is relatively simple to play but also because it really is not, originally, a guitar song, so I can see how to "create" a musical rhythm on the guitar.

May I ask how did you come out on the strumming patter of the chorus? On the original tune I can hear a strong drum rhythm, are you just following it?

Thanks in advance

Armando Guitar

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
armandoguitar
armandoguitar
09/05/2020 8:13 pm

Thanks Mike

so the important part is the second beat stressed by the drum and syncopeted in your guitar. In "classic" rock style the drum is stressing the back beat and living out a strum on the beat 2 creates a nice contrast; hope I got it.

# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/07/2020 11:53 am

Yes, you've got it. In this case, I'm making sure I am strumming all the downbeats (the 1, 2, 3, 4) locked with the drum hits, but also adding some down/up up strums in between to create a nice texture and more interesting groove.

Originally Posted by: armandoguitar

Thanks Mike

so the important part is the second beat stressed by the drum and syncopeted in your guitar. In "classic" rock style the drum is stressing the back beat and living out a strum on the beat 2 creates a nice contrast; hope I got it.

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.