"it must have been love"

jab3ri
jab3ri
08/08/2020 10:37 am

Hey Mike, i wanna play " it must have been love" by roxette , and the strumming is so simple , is there any other strumming apporoch you would suggest , a more challenging one ?

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/08/2020 2:02 pm

Hey there - yes try following what the kick drum does in the drum beat.

It's a sixteenth note pattern, mixing downstrokes and upstrokes. It would go like this:

1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a

The accents in bold italic are the strums. The first 2 strums are right on the first 2 beats of the count with downstrokes. Then, right before the 3rd beat of the bar, play an upstroke, followed by the next upstroke. Then it's back to a downstroke on the 4th beat of the bar.

These strums follow the kick drum - so focus on that when playing with the backing track.

Hopefully this helps - let me know how it goes!!

[br]Mike

Originally Posted by: nima.jabery

Hey Mike, i wanna play " it must have been love" by roxette , and the strumming is so simple , is there any other strumming apporoch you would suggest , a more challenging one ?

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
jab3ri
jab3ri
08/10/2020 2:26 am

thanks alot Mike. it sounds great. ive got two more questions

1. are there any lessons on how we can find the strumming patterns out of drum beats?

2. can i add more strumming but only accent on 1 , 2 , a , e and 4 on that strumming pattern you provided ?

# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/10/2020 1:15 pm

Excellent! As for your questions:

1) There aren't any lessons specifically about this, but a good rule is to try and match your strums to the overall groove of the rhythm section. An easy way to do this is listen to the kik and snare of the drum pattern, and accent your strums along with that.

That said, check out this comprehensive strumming tutorial here on GT:

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=18320&s_id=1408

2) Absolutely!! The strum pattern I suggested for the song is one of many that would work with the groove! Experiment, and of course - you are free to add in strums wherever it feels natural and sounds good!

Mike

Originally Posted by: nima.jabery

thanks alot Mike. it sounds great. ive got two more questions

1. are there any lessons on how we can find the strumming patterns out of drum beats?

2. can i add more strumming but only accent on 1 , 2 , a , e and 4 on that strumming pattern you provided ?

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4
jab3ri
jab3ri
08/10/2020 4:15 pm

Thank u so much Mike.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.