F chord in Don't Cry by Guns N’ Roses

jpawlowski412
jpawlowski412
05/02/2020 6:29 pm

I have a problem with the Hendrix style F chord (as in the picture, but also 6string first fret with thumb) the chorus of the song above. There's a part with hammer-ons using index and middle finger, so the regular barre F cannot really be used there. I can't get those notes to sound clear. I can do a barre F without much issues, but this Hendrix style variation just makes my hand sore and some notes muted. I think the problem might be with that mini barre on the 1 and 2 strings with index finger, it seems to kinda pivot my hand in a uncomfortable way. I'm playing on a fat neck Les Paul, is there anything I can do?

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/04/2020 1:21 pm

Great question!!

First tip is to move up the neck to around the 8th fret to work on it since the frets are a bit closer together which may make this process easier. Here, work on the position of your thumb (either behind the neck or over the top), and the arc of your fingers. Experiment with different angles and positions of the fingers, and check your progress by picking each note, aiming to get each one to ring out cleanly and clearly.

When you've found a hand position that facilitates each note cleanly ringing out, note the position of your thumb and fingers, then release the fretboard and repeat the process. As your fingers start to loosen up with the shape, work your way down the fretboard - ultimately to get to the first fret.

The repetition of this exercise will start to burn away the resistance in the muscles of your hand, making it easier and easier to grab this shape.

Now -- you mentioned your hand getting sore --- shake it out frequently and do NOT do this exercise too long that it causes more soreness. It's better to work on this for just a few minutes a day rather than 20 minutes at a time if it is causing you any pain.

Please check out this video that explains this process in detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlY3ngFeoPU

This video talks about full barre chords, but the process is exactly the same - just use this particular shape you are working on.

Hope this helps - please let me know how it goes!!

Originally Posted by: jpawlowski412

I have a problem with the Hendrix style F chord (as in the picture, but also 6string first fret with thumb) the chorus of the song above. There's a part with hammer-ons using index and middle finger, so the regular barre F cannot really be used there. I can't get those notes to sound clear. I can do a barre F without much issues, but this Hendrix style variation just makes my hand sore and some notes muted. I think the problem might be with that mini barre on the 1 and 2 strings with index finger, it seems to kinda pivot my hand in a uncomfortable way. I'm playing on a fat neck Les Paul, is there anything I can do?

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.