Doubt in strumming and chord changing

jvjplus2
jvjplus2
04/09/2020 9:17 am

Hi,

When I play songs, the chord changes comes even before I finish the complete strumming pattern of the song.

In that case, should I change the chord and start strumming pattern again from beginning or should I complete the strumming pattern than change chord or should I continue the pattern with chord change or should maintain different speed with regard to chord changes length?

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/09/2020 4:55 pm

Hi there, great question!

What I recommend is to practice your strumming pattern at slower tempos, with plenty of repetition, making sure you are correctly executing the strumming pattern cleanly and smoothly.

It sounds like you are not quite keeping up with the tempo of the song with your strums, so find a slower tempo where you can execute the strum cleanly and smoothly and make the chord changes in the correct spots. Once you've found that tempo, then practice it over and over.

You'll want to stay and practice at that slower tempo for awhile. When you feel confident, try raising the tempo. Keep increasing the tempo until you can no longer play it cleanly and smoothly, then decrease the tempo to where you can, and repeat the process.

It may take a few days, or a few weeks, but eventually, you will work your way to being able to play up to full speed.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hope this helps!

Mike

Originally Posted by: j.vjplus

Hi,

When I play songs, the chord changes comes even before I finish the complete strumming pattern of the song.

In that case, should I change the chord and start strumming pattern again from beginning or should I complete the strumming pattern than change chord or should I continue the pattern with chord change or should maintain different speed with regard to chord changes length?

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.