Sweet Home Intro

larry.bankey
Full Access
larry.bankey
Full Access
07/27/2018 4:57 pm

Hello Mike

The second intro lick to Sweet Home is actually a pedal off the open d to my ear

also easier under the fingers

The chorus syncopation is tough for me

any ideas to help there

thanks

LB

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/29/2018 4:23 pm

Hey Larry!

I recommend looping the chorus section on the performance video (or the chorus video where it shows it being played with the track), and slowing it down to either .75x or .5x. There are buttons on the right hand side of the video that adjust the speed without affecting the pitch, so you can jam along in tune at a much slower tempo.

Take one chord at a time if you have to, and work out where the strums and rests are. Then put it all together and start working with the track, matching the guitar on the video at a slow speed. Then practice it over and over at the slow speed to burn away any resistance and program your muscles to be able to play the part perfectly at a slow tempo.

So -- isolate, figure out where the strums/rests are, play it very slowly - correctly, over and over. Eventually, your muscle memory will take over, and you should be able to get closer to playing at full tempo.

Make sense? Let me know how it goes!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
larry.bankey
Full Access
larry.bankey
Full Access
07/30/2018 12:50 am

Thanks Mike didn’t know about the tempo controls

will try it

Seems also that after the chorus especially for outro they go into a full

six fret boogie on the g

do you hear that?

i cheat the six fret stretch and just play the last note independent since I can’t reach

trying solo one now and after the initial whole step bend lick I’m having trouble with the run to the last bend inside fret twelve on the first part

notes just not falling under my fingers

i had my hip replaced and have time to play day after day but the Strat in my lap makes me get sore fast

anyway will keep trying

dont give up on me

sure sick of this woodshed lol

# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/30/2018 1:44 pm

Hey Larry, indeed they are digging in and going for it after that last chorus haha. It's good you are making whatever adjustments necessary to play the parts - overall, the more playing you do, the more the fingers and muscles are going to stretch out making it easier and easier.

Some of the licks in the solo are a bit tricky --- again, make sure to slow it down and take it one phrase at a time.

Keep at it!!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4
larry.bankey
Full Access
larry.bankey
Full Access
07/31/2018 2:24 am

Thanks again Mike

You are a great player

I took the time once mostly because I dig the song to learn Sultans of Swing note for note all embellishments etc

I was so proud of myself and it was so fun

Right now that some time has passed I’ve forgotten

most of it

Does this occur for you and if not how do you recall it

I will master Sweet Home it’s just how I am and am very

thankful for your instruction

Regards

LB

# 5
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/31/2018 1:01 pm

That's awesome Larry! It's always well worth the effort!

Forgetting songs happens to me all the time! To keep them in your brain and fingers you have to revisit the songs regularly. However, I do find that the parts come back a lot quicker if you learned the song once before - so at least there's that!

Keep rockin!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.