A first effort

imccowatt
imccowatt
03/03/2018 8:47 pm

One of my objectives coming to GT was gain some skills that'd help me write songs.

So - two and a half months in, here's a first effort. I'm just short of half way through "Rock Level 2" and have tried to apply some of the things I've picked up along the way. Spot the few bits of meat and potatoes!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vftaeesm6v5a133/AdventuresInF%23m.mp3?dl=0

It's still very much a work in progress - only got intro/bridge and verse/solo sections so far, but its coming together.

Notes:

- I'm a mixing novice, so plenty of room for improvement there

- I ***NEED*** to get a bass, pitch shifting sounds terrible

- No amount of Guitar Trickery will get me singing!

-Iain

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/04/2018 9:07 pm
Originally Posted by: imccowatt

One of my objectives coming to GT was gain some skills that'd help me write songs.

[br]So - two and a half months in, here's a first effort. I'm just short of half way through "Rock Level 2" and have tried to apply some of the things I've picked up along the way. Spot the few bits of meat and potatoes!

[br]https://www.dropbox.com/s/vftaeesm6v5a133/AdventuresInF%23m.mp3?dl=0

[br]It's still very much a work in progress - only got intro/bridge and verse/solo sections so far, but its coming together.

[br]Notes:

- I'm a mixing novice, so plenty of room for improvement there

- I ***NEED*** to get a bass, pitch shifting sounds terrible

- No amount of Guitar Trickery will get me singing!

Keep the heck at it! Well done. Given your limited experience, you've gained a lot of tools. A good habit is the development of themes, I hear this in your ditty. That's a lot of what makes a song; a recognizable theme.

It's good to hear yourself develop and listen to how you're building a song. Both for the good and bad.

Though more to keep in your songwriting pocket for later; the Eagles Don Henley and Glenn Frey were upstairs neighbors from Jackson Browne in all their starving, young days. Frey said he'd get annoyed with Browne getting up promptly at 9AM every day, making tea and playing, to his mind, parts of songs over and over. Frey was like 'What's Jackson doing all day? Over and over?'

Perfecting.

To what Frey thought was the same thing over and over, it was Browne listening for that little improvement that gets his song 'there'. Frey said that this was when he understood what it really took to write a song.

Now, does this apply to you after nearly getting through GT's F2? Not yet. But, if your goal is to write songs, a good habit to be mindful of.

That said; good work!

# 2
imccowatt
imccowatt
03/07/2018 2:52 pm

Cheers Jeff, great story BTW.

Think I'll definately do more along these lines. Putting things into practice in an original piece seems a great way to consolidate them.

-Iain

# 3
maggior
maggior
03/09/2018 4:24 am

This is really cool! You have a great start here! In addition to the varied parts, in your mixing you've given variety to the sound of the track. The sound changes between some of the sections...goes from fat to a bit thinner. I liked how that worked.

Only two and a half months in?? I'm impressed...keep going!

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.