Need Honest Advice Regarding Path...

Super Slowhand
Super Slowhand
02/25/2018 11:33 pm

Good evening all,

I’m a 47 year old music addict and have been all my life. I always envied Clapton, Page and all of the other guitarists you’d expect someone my age to appreciate. I want desperately to be able to play all the songs I grew up loving, but starting from ground zero. I’m not afraid of hard work, but really want to know the best approach for someone my age to learn guitar. Those of you who already know how to play may understand this, but for years I’ve read books, guitar magazines, etc. looking for that one moment that is the “ah-ha” moment where you know you have a lot of work to do in order to get better, but someone explains the concepts of guitar in a way that speaks to you.

Yes, I understand a few basics such as strings go from low E to high E, you have to learn chords and scales, etc. But I think there is still something missing that would help me understand the WHY of how a guitar is laid out, HOW notes related to one another, etc.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant, but would appreciate any advice that you found worked for you. As an older person, I obviously don’t have a lot of time to waste and want to give this my best shot.

# 1
NeverEnoughFuzz
NeverEnoughFuzz
02/26/2018 5:05 pm

Grreetings!

I would start by going the Foundmentals, you'll know some of the stuff but it will give you good all round understanding. I am ina similar position, i know scales and can play some songs but going back has really helped me out.

Cheers

Fender Strat Jimi Hendrix Series MIM

Epiphone 59 Les Paul

Pus a few others

Boss Katana Mk2 100 watts

Bugera V22 combo

Far too many pedals...

# 2
Papa Rich
Papa Rich
02/26/2018 5:55 pm

Absolutely start with Fundamentals 1 & 2. Don't scimp on the lessons and make sure that not only understand what's being said but also that you can play what's being taught. Then go to either the Rock or Blues courses. It sounds like you enjoy 70s-80s rock so maybe that's where you should go. As you go through the Rock lesons start picking out easy songs to build up your knowledge and also to learn to play with a backing track. Very important to learn about keeping the beat, etc. Then progress through the more challenging songs as you gain momemtum. It worked for me and it will work for you. BE PATIENT!! and enjoy.

# 3
Super Slowhand
Super Slowhand
02/27/2018 1:49 am

Much appreciated, guys. I have already started the basic courses and definitely am going to start from absolute scratch and give it my all. Really want to learn this the right way.

# 4
yavym4ever
Full Access
yavym4ever
Full Access
02/27/2018 6:28 am

Absolutely start with Fundamentals 1 & 2 and remember [u]be patient[/u] ( most important ) .....go throught every minutes in the video and practice alot . Don't go to next lesson until you understand it 100% . I'm sure you will see alot " ah - ha " moment and understand the WHY of how a guitar is laid out, HOW notes related to one another, chords related to one another etc. in Fundamentals 1 and 2 . I am 47 too and I have the same problem like you last few months ago but now I understand alot about guitar . Good luck !

# 5
maggior
maggior
02/27/2018 4:06 pm

Don't lose sight of the fact that it's supposed to be fun!!

The fundamentals are very important as everybody has pointed out. As soon as you have 3 chords under your belt, find a song that uses them. Or find a song that has some simple chords and learn those chords specifically so you can play the song.

Bash away and have fun!!

I started trying to learn guitar at the age of 10 or so. I had one of those Mel Bay books. I'm not sure if it even had a single chord in it...it was all notation and things like "Row Row Row Your Boat". I lost interest very quickly.

Fast forward to when I was 13, a friend of mine showed me 3 chords...D, A, and E....and eventually a 4th, which was G. In a short span of time, I could play "Polythene Pam" by the Beatles, and I haven't put the guitar down since (I just turned 51).

That handful of chords had me practicing my strumming, my chord changes...all in the context of a song I enjoyed.

# 6
Super Slowhand
Super Slowhand
03/01/2018 12:54 am

Thanks for the additional comments guys. Glad to hear someone else my age is tackling this as well. Absolutely agree I want this to be fun. I want to make the most of learning and practicing, but enjoy every second. Definitely will be taking every course super slow until I build up finger strength and timing. Finding right off the bat my fingers are much weaker than I remember and really struggling with bar chords. Just going to keep plugging away and hopefully get stronger over the next couple of months.

# 7
bamamusic16
bamamusic16
03/14/2018 12:29 pm

Just my experience.... As in life, you cant force those 'ah ha" moments. Those moments of clarity. It has been my experience, and truely learning the guitar is no exception, you must find someone or some system you trust. Truly trust. I believe GT is a great source for this. Once you believe in a system, you must turn yourself over to the steps and pace that it dictates. I know it is very hard to comply with, "don't move on until you can play this scale in your sleep, or you must know all the notes on the fretboard to understand this next lesson". But by doing this, you build a solid foundation for creating those "ah ha" moments of clarity. They come, you just cant force them.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.