The Seeker

stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
10/31/2017 2:12 am

I've loved that song since i was a teen. The rhythym is a nice challenge for me and those quick chord changes are just plain cool, luv it. Quick queston though, is it kind of normal for a ''new'' old player to have trouble connecting lead sections and maintaining rhythym. I'm feeling like at times my brain and or my fingers are either not quick enough or are not in sync. I'm 60 yrs ,been here about a year and mostly work on fundamentals and old blues standards. I'm trying to get my time in, usually at least an hour daily most times more, sometimes alot more. The faster bpm lead sections usually are the ones that get me. I'm not expecting overnight results just looking for suggestions or your opinion. Thanks for your hard work, i always enjoy your lessons and love your approach to teaching guitar...................PEACEOUT See Ya, Take care Mike!

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/31/2017 2:57 pm

Hi Steve, thanks for digging the tutorial!!

Overcoming those hurdles takes a laser focus and lots and lots of drilling. I suggest isolating the trouble spots (eg. a quick chord change or tricky lick), slowing it down enough that you can correctly play the part, then spend 5-10 minutes playing that part slowly over and over again. The key is the repetition as you are playing it correctly at the slower tempo. Add this drill to your daily practice routine.

With more and more drilling, it becomes burned into your muscle memory with your fingers more limber to be able to play the part easier and easier. Slowly raise the tempo as it feels more and more comfortable to play, but never play too fast that you aren't playing the part cleanly and correctly.

Give yourself the mindset of an athlete training for the olympics. The drilling can become boring, but there's no other more effective way to overcome these barriers.

Make sense? Let me know how it goes!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
11/01/2017 1:32 am

Thanks Mike, It does make sense and come to think of it's not just fast lead sections but sometime fast rhythym's also that give me trouble. For instance on ''the seeker'' that agressive attack coupled with the speed causes me trouble with accuracy, looks pretty easy when you play it. So i know it comes down to practice, practice and practice more. I would love to have that aggresive sound and be relaxed at the same time.... Thanks Again!

# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/02/2017 2:08 pm

Indeed that fast Townshend strumming is a bit tricky to get down! I had to work on it for awhile to get it aggressive yet relaxed all at once! Keep at it!!

Mike

Originally Posted by: stevelankford313

Thanks Mike, It does make sense and come to think of it's not just fast lead sections but sometime fast rhythym's also that give me trouble. For instance on ''the seeker'' that agressive attack coupled with the speed causes me trouble with accuracy, looks pretty easy when you play it. So i know it comes down to practice, practice and practice more. I would love to have that aggresive sound and be relaxed at the same time.... Thanks Again!

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.