Just what I needed- The Cars: Solo Question.

macool33
macool33
05/15/2016 7:00 pm
Hi Mike: AMAZING break down of this song BTW!

One question: (During the Soloing parts) I didn't notice if you described how to hit the strings when there is an empty string between two other strings being played at the same time. For Example** When you were Fingering-- 6th fret on High E, B string (nothing-empty) and 6 fret on G string..... Did you mute the 'B string' while you were hitting these other two strings "together-same time" OR do you actually finger pick these together (without the pick) ?, What is the best sounding method to do play this technique? Thank you kindly, Rick
# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/16/2016 4:48 pm
Hey Rick, great question!

In this particular solo, those licks are best approached using chicken picken, which means I use my pick on the G string and my middle finger on the high E string. That way, the B string doesn't get picked or plucked, so you don't have to worry about muting it. That is the authentic way to play it based on what is on the original recording.

However, you could play the licks using only a pick. In that case, you would have to make sure the B string is muted. What I find works best is to curl the finger that is fretting the G string downwards so it is also dampening the B string. Be sure not to curl it so much that it is actually fretting the B string, just resting on the string should make it dampened.

Make sense? Let me know how it goes!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.