Sweet Home Alabama v2

razzlemacher
Full Access
razzlemacher
Full Access
02/02/2016 5:35 am
Hi Mike -

Just wondering how come you did a second version of Sweet Home? It's the first time I've seen a song done twice on GT with the same difficulty level.

I learned the version that Anders did a while back and noticed that there are minor differences in the way you play the lead solo notes. Is there anything else to watch out for? Any advantages or differences between the two versions?

thanks much!
# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/02/2016 3:45 pm
Hey there, thanks for the question!

Anders' version is quite a few years old now, and since that tutorial is one of the most popular on the site, GuitarTricks simply wanted to upgrade the video quality to current standards and also bring the format of the tutorial into the most recent spec. Unfortunately, Anders' schedule at the time of filming prevented him from doing it, so I jumped in.

I also noticed a few minor differences in the solo - a few different ghost notes here and there, and playing licks at different spots on the neck. Chalk this up to us instructors having different playing styles, and sometimes a lick is more comfortable for me at a different spot on the neck. Even though we strive to give a note-for-note transcription, sometimes on a fast lick, we'll come into it slightly differently, or add a different type of slide in or out --- just minor differences that come from our individual playing styles.

In the end, though, 99.9% of the transcription is the same, so I don't really feel like there are any advantages or disadvantages with either version. Each tutorial will get you rocking this iconic tune!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/03/2016 11:29 pm
Great question & a great answer! :) I've watched Mike's version & it is outstanding.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.