Knowing when to pick notes up or down

kevin2933
Full Access
kevin2933
Full Access
05/07/2015 10:43 pm
Is there a lesson on this site that teaches how to know when to pick up or pick down by looking at the note. I have seen in some tabs it is the up and down v. I was just wondering if there was a way of just looking at the notes.
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
05/08/2015 5:03 pm
In our lessons we generally don't notate the up/down, since we assume you have seen it done on the video, so it is easier to observe the picking pattern than read it in tab.

But to answer your bigger question:
1. In general, pick down.
2. Alternate pick (down/up/down/up) for anything too fast to comfortably pick all downstrokes.
3. It is ok to just do what works for you, as long as you don't develop a "no upstroke" picking system. That is limiting.
4. By looking at a note, if it is on a full beat, it is going to be a down stroke. If it is on a half beat (think ska/reggae) it will be an upstroke.

The best I could think of as a tutorial for this type of question is "Better Strumming" but it is more general than your question:
https://www.guitartricks.com/v2/tutorial.php?input=1408

Christopher might have a better idea of a tutorial to point you to. Hopefully he'll chime in.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
kevin2933
Full Access
kevin2933
Full Access
05/08/2015 7:20 pm
Jon,

Thank you for that great explanation. I will also look at the lesson you are referring to.

Kevin
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/08/2015 7:22 pm
Originally Posted by: kevin2933Is there a lesson on this site that teaches how to know when to pick up or pick down by looking at the note. I have seen in some tabs it is the up and down v. I was just wondering if there was a way of just looking at the notes.

Jon gave you a great answer. I want to add that you can often know (or make an educated guess) based on the context of the music.

It usually helps to use the notes or chords in a song as a guide. You should pick in the direction that makes it the easiest way to get from one note or chord to the next. Efficiency of motion will help rather than hinder in your playing technique.

There will always be exceptions & certain things that just have to be picked in a specific way that might be difficult. But efficiency of motion is always the best starting point & default setting.

I cover beginner & basic picking skills here:

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=742

Hope that helps! Ask more if necessary & best of success. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
kevin2933
Full Access
kevin2933
Full Access
05/08/2015 8:55 pm
Christopher,

Thanks so much for the information. Jon and your explanations are very helpful. Over the years know one has really been able to give me an answer on this topic. I am glad I found Guitar Tricks, I will definitely follow both of yours advice.
# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/09/2015 2:19 pm
Originally Posted by: kevin2933
Thanks so much for the information.

You're welcome! Glad you are enjoying GT. Best of success with your guitar. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.