Newbie both to the site and to serious guitar

lmoranti
lmoranti
04/30/2015 7:42 am
Hello all....

I am new to the site. I have played around on the guitar for going on 15 years but never serious. I knew a few chords and a few songs and that was always good enough for me.

Suddenly, something happened a few weeks ago. I realized the guitar sitting in my office had been on the stand for at least the last 9 months to a year and has not even been touched. I picked it up and it was like an old friend I hadn't talked to in years. We picked up a conversation and soon I was finding out that I really missed it. I played every day for about a week and no longer was I satisfied playing G,C,D,E, and F. I wanted to learn all I could. I wanted to know each strings notes and where they were. I wanted to take more control. I picked up Learn and Master Guitar and started working there. I went on a couple of forums. I did some research online to learn some new chords. ll that led me here.

I am still doing the Learn and Master, but have now started concentrating more on the core system here and am really enjoying the learning and the new stuff I am starting to pick up.

Leo
# 1
bearrogers
Full Access
bearrogers
Full Access
04/30/2015 6:27 pm
I just wanted to reply, "welcome," - I too was just fooling around, and about a year ago found GuitarTricks. I've been working on all the Core Stuff and some of the songs, and mostly having a lot of fun doing it. I mean where else are you going to learn "Rabble Rouser" "Susie Q" and "Folsom Prison Blues" and "On the Road Again" all on one site?
Plus you can take a break and learn how to fingerpick some great songs fairly quickly - Thank you Lisa McCormick!

The world would be a lot better off, much more peaceful if more folks would put aside their hate and just pick up a guitar!

bearrogers,
anchorage
# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/30/2015 6:36 pm
Welcome to both of you.

The only real regret I have about guitar is not playing enough...that and a 35-year break! :D

bearrogers - I spent a few years outside of Anchorage in Eagle River...what a great region. Do Pure Prairie League still make Anchorage home?
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
bearrogers
Full Access
bearrogers
Full Access
04/30/2015 7:07 pm
Are you kiddin' me?
I've been here since 19__ and I never heard that Anchorage was home to PPL!
I know there's a few, probably more than a few, very well-known folks in and around Anchor-town, some very prominent musicians and guitarists, some in semi-hiding.

bearrogers
# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/30/2015 11:20 pm
Well, shoot!! I spent about 30 minutes on the web trying to find the PPL-Anchorage connection with no luck. The closest I got was their gig at the AK State Fair the year before last.

But I most definitely remember reading 'somewhere' a couple years ago that the band frequently played in a club/bar room of an Anchorage hotel. I think the word "headquarters" was used.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 5
RussSnell111
RussSnell111
05/05/2015 2:23 pm
Originally Posted by: lmorantiHello all....

I am new to the site. I have played around on the guitar for going on 15 years but never serious. I knew a few chords and a few songs and that was always good enough for me.

Suddenly, something happened a few weeks ago. I realized the guitar sitting in my office had been on the stand for at least the last 9 months to a year and has not even been touched. I picked it up and it was like an old friend I hadn't talked to in years. We picked up a conversation and soon I was finding out that I really missed it. I played every day for about a week and no longer was I satisfied playing G,C,D,E, and F. I wanted to learn all I could. I wanted to know each strings notes and where they were. I wanted to take more control. I picked up Learn and Master Guitar and started working there. I went on a couple of forums. I did some research online to learn some new chords. ll that led me here.

I am still doing the Learn and Master, but have now started concentrating more on the core system here and am really enjoying the learning and the new stuff I am starting to pick up.

Leo

Hey John! Seems like we met before in another guitar world! Glad to see you here!
# 6
RussSnell111
RussSnell111
05/05/2015 2:26 pm
Originally Posted by: lmorantiHello all....

Leo

Hey Leo! Glad to see you here!
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.