Greetings from Wales

JessUK98
JessUK98
07/08/2014 3:26 pm
Hello all. I'm new to Guitar Tricks so thought I'd say hi. I'm from Wales in the UK and I'm a princessly 34 years old. I've been learning to play the guitar since the beginning of the year. I'm not doing too badly, but tend to get bored easily so have been trying to motivate myself some more by using sites like this.

I have always got on better with the theory side of things rather than the practical side, and as a result I'm really quite interested in music theory (I've just sat the ABRSM Grade 5 Music Theory exam just for the hell of it, still waiting for my results!). I have ploughed through the first fundamentals stage, as I already knew all the chords (with the exception of the B chord, I had to google that one as it's not something that has gome up in previous beginners courses I've done).

I'm shortly going to work my way through the fundamentals stage 2. I've done a lot of the music theory stuff before and can read music but not done 12 bar blues stuff or an awful lot of barre chords though so that should be interesting. Then I think I might try out the Country stage, I like me a bit of Cash!

My biggest weakness is switching between chords smoothly, quite often I'll hesitate and/or fluff it up in a panic trying to keep pace with the metronome. Working on forcing my changes! So I still have a lot of work to do with practicing my chord changes, and this is where I'm hoping the song section will keep me interested.

Oh, I am a bit verbose as well, so apologies for all the waffle. I shall go now..... Hope to venture across many of you on the site in the near future!
# 1
sumihisaaota
sumihisaaota
07/08/2014 5:03 pm
Hi,

Greetings and welcome. regarding the chord switching, slow the metronome down. I often work out chord changes at 40 bpm for the C to barre F transition, to get the muscle memory working. (Although I cheat a bit now using a F/C instead of the full F)
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.