Your, My and Their Music

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/07/2014 11:05 pm
In the Newsletter sub-forum there's a thread, "The Seventies: Rock's Classic Age." It leads off with another super piece of writing by Wildwoman1313, author of many great articles in the same sub-forum. In this particular thread, though, there's a good discussion about rock's different eras and decades. Although I'm a child of the sixties, I gotta admit that the 70's stands out (disco notwithstanding ;) ). And I thought about all that when I saw this today, Last Call: Growing Apart, an essay about revisiting the music and musicians of one's youth, http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/20910-last-call-growing-apart . I have shared the author's dismay of seeing musicians I revered as a kid decades after the hits. Still, no matter what the decade or what those musicians look like now, crap is crap but quality wins out. As the author put it, "...the very best pop and rock music is, was, and will always be written and performed by people under the age of 28. Iā€™m still amazed by the insightful and brilliant songwriting of a very young Chuck Berry, Queen, Heart, Simon & Garfunkel, Prince, Clapton, the Allmans, Chrissie Hynde, Rod Stewart, Elton John, AC/DC, Nirvana, U2, Bruno Mars, Van Halen, Skynyrd, the Beatles, Hendrix, Zep, Dylan, the Stones, Bowie, the Who, the Doors, Buddy Holly, Springsteen, the Eagles, and more." That music ages well.

Somewhere on Justin Sandercoe's site, www.justinguitar.com , he writes, "The music was better then..." but really doesn't define when 'then' was. But I think I know and I think you guys do too. "Crap has a short shelf life" but a lot of the music that first rocked me stands up well. Your does too.

The article isn't earth shaking but I nodded 'uh-huh' throughout the whole read. 'Cept, I did massive quantities of Trix, not Cap'n Crunch. :D
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 1
fretsmith
fretsmith
06/09/2014 12:45 am
Yup. For the last 2 weeks I've been re-doing the man cave. Soundproofing, flooring, fresh paint, etc. It was the perfect chance to listen to hours ( and hours) of music while I worked.
It became quickly apparent there is a LOT of really, really good music from the 70's-80's-ish era that still holds up today. I had all but forgotten some amazing bands/records: CHICAGO ... awesome. ELO , Supertramp, Bowie (hadn't listened to Ziggy Stardust in 20 years- still a mindblowing record) , just to name a few.
Also set the XM to contemporary rock just to see what I was missing... no disrespect to the kids but I can't say I was moved. Never thot I'd be "that guy" but I really think the best (my favorite?) period in rock music history would have been from about 1967 to about 1984 ... "Sgt Pepper's" turned 47 a couple of days ago! Where did all that time go?
# 2
maggior
maggior
06/09/2014 1:44 pm
There's some modern music I like, but not of it is mainstream. In the 90/00's, I got into bands like Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Porcupine Tree, Ozric Tentacles. Some of those guys are still pumping out albums. Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, Neal Morse, Dream Theater...these are some current band I like...though they started out a while ago though. Riverside is another band I like out of Poland. Joe Bonamassa is guy currently pumping out albums that is great if you like blues with a rock edge.

I'm on a Led Zeppelin kick listening to How the West Was Won. I forgot how awesome this band was, and this live album is them at their peak!! Very inspiring since I have a new Les Paul I'm breaking in :-).

I'm finding myself a to be a huge Doobie Brothers fan too - the stuff before Michael McDonald came on board. Long Train Running, China Grove, Listen to the Music...all such fun songs, and fun to play!!

Lots of awesome music from the 60's - 80's, that's for sure! There's some good stuff today too, but it isn't mainstream and you have to dig.
# 3
compart1
compart1
06/09/2014 7:13 pm
Originally Posted by: maggior Joe Bonamassa is guy currently pumping out albums that is great if you like blues with a rock edge.

Trying this quote thing.
I'm into Joe Bonamassa blues also.. He also was in a rock band called "Black Country Communion" Glen Hughs, and Jason Bonham.
If your into Joe's blues, you may find being a member of his web site the "bomb".. So far, I have gotten a 10 song and 1 song download....for free. Also plenty of streaming tunes.
(click here) http://jbonamassa.com/ streaming today is "Lonesome Road Blues"

"It was better then" Applies to us all.. just a different "then"..

Also Joe Bonamassa has appeared in or a member of "Rock Candy Funk Party"
# 4
maggior
maggior
06/09/2014 7:58 pm
I've listened to some Black Country Communion. The music was great, but the vocals were a bit too harsh for my taste - couldn't get past that.

I've seen some of the "Rock Candy Funk Party" videos. Pretty cool stuff! It has that improvisational jazz feel.

I've watched the video of his Royal Albert Hall performance countless times. Eric Clapton joins him on stage! Just totally awesome. I simply cannot watch that video or listen to that album and NOT pick my guitar up.
# 5
compart1
compart1
06/10/2014 12:32 am
Hey Rich..
I'll have to go back and take a listen.. I usually listen to music in the back ground while I surf.. As like right now I'm listening to Mike Olekshy tunes on ReverbNation and only remember the title lyric coming up in the song..
# 6
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/10/2014 2:56 am
Speaking of Joe, this link, http://i47.tinypic.com/25hl7ya.jpg , has the great old picture of what is described as part of his gear collection.

I love it!! :D
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 7
compart1
compart1
06/10/2014 12:16 pm
bad case of GAS
# 8
maggior
maggior
06/10/2014 2:19 pm
That's an impressive picture!!! I should show that to my wife should she complain about the number of guitars I have :-).

On facebook, he's posted pictures of room FILLED with Fender amps, VOX amps, etc. He's got quite the collection of '59 LPs.

He's also played Rory Gallagher's infamous strat. How's that for an honor!
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.