Boston-Longtime

Axekickingguitarist
Axekickingguitarist
06/05/2014 9:27 pm
Hi Mike

I just wanted to let you know I thought you did a fabulous job with this tutorial. I made a video of my self playing this and I was told that it sounded good, but you really couldn't hear me over the original Boston guitarist. Then I told this person that I was playing to a backing track with the guitar removed so the only guitar they heard was me playing. I took it as quite a compliment, and you should too because you did a fantastic job teaching me the song.

One thing I am finding is, as I slide my pick down the neck, my picks get small gouges in them. What type of picks do you know of which do not do this?
I am curious what material type and thickness you used during the Longtime song and if that is a standard thickness for you.

Thanks Mike. Keep up the good work and keep those songs coming!
# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/06/2014 5:46 pm
Thanks for the kind words! So glad you enjoyed the lessons.

These days I'm using the Dunlop Tortex Wedge 1.0 mm. I find it's the perfect thickness for playing aggressive rock stuff. It feels really solid for both rhythm and leads.

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes.

Keep rocking'!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
Axekickingguitarist
Axekickingguitarist
06/06/2014 7:31 pm
Thanks for the response. I have been using a medium pick, and I think it is holding me back on very aggressive leads. I am going to try a bunch of picks out from the 0.88 to the 1.5mm range, with the Dunlop Tortex Wedge 1mm being one of them. I take it the Dunlop Tortex wedge doesn't get small nicks taken out of it like the picks I am using after you slide it down the neck. Do you know if Derlin resists gouging too. I want to make sure that I don't order picks that will be ruined on the first slide down the strings. Any other type of material you could recommend that resists gouging would be helpful too. I never thought I would be good enough that the type of pick made a difference. Subscribing to Guitar tricks has seriously improved my playing over the past couple of years. Thanks to all of you!
# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/12/2014 5:49 pm
To be honest, I haven't noticed one way or another on whether the picks are resistant to pick slides. I just notice that after awhile, the picks get chewed up in general. So just experiment and find the picks that work the best for you!

Cheers!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.