From On the Stage to On the Board

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
05/30/2014 2:27 am
Fender adds Bono, The Edge from U2 to its board, http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/4e67281c3f754d0696fbfdee0f3f1469/Article_2014-05-29-Fender-U2/id-5790923e86864af4abdece5a6e5281df

"The company says the two will add to the board because of their longtime experience in music and entertainment. The move also adds to the brand's rock credibility."

Besides Fender, Fender Musical Instruments Corporation includes a lot of brands, e.g., Gretsch, Ovation, Takamine, Hamer, etc. What it doesn't include is Gibson...I wonder if lending a hand to Fender will take the Gibsons out of The Edge's hands. That kind of move would not add "to the brand's rock credibility", I think.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 1
maggior
maggior
05/30/2014 1:09 pm
Never would have thought I'd see that. You would think that being on the board he would be expected to be "brand loyal", so out with the Gibsons, including his beloved Explorer. Huh!

I'm sure there will be fans that will call them sellouts. Then there are those fans that would continue to worship Bono no matter what he did. I remember commenting to a hardcore fan that I lost interest in U2 after the Joshua Tree because fankly I thought the new music sucked - give me War or Boy any day!! You would have thought I had just denounced all that is held scacred in the world...yikes! Somewhere in the rant that followed she said something to the effect of Bono's voice was from the angels and anything he sang or said was sacred. Uh huh!!
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.