Folsom Prison Blues

Tom1951
Tom1951
03/24/2014 5:53 pm
I am learning FPB and have a question on the "groove". You are playing alternate bass notes (low e & a) and then the d & g strings all while palm muting. I can't tell if you are hitting the d string on a down stroke and the g string on an upstroke. If I do this, I tend to lose the palm muting on the g string. Please clarify how you are striking the d & g strings. Thanks.
Tom
# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/25/2014 3:15 pm
Hey Tom!

Your goal is to pick both strings at the same time. Once with the downstroke, and again on the upstroke. It sounds fuller this way.

However, it still sounds okay if you hit only the D string on the downstroke and the G string on the upstroke. It ends up sounding very similar once you get it up to speed. So I always suggest to do whatever is most comfortable.

Hope this helps!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
Tom1951
Tom1951
03/25/2014 10:55 pm
Originally Posted by: Mike OlekshyHey Tom!

Your goal is to pick both strings at the same time. Once with the downstroke, and again on the upstroke. It sounds fuller this way.

However, it still sounds okay if you hit only the D string on the downstroke and the G string on the upstroke. It ends up sounding very similar once you get it up to speed. So I always suggest to do whatever is most comfortable.

Hope this helps!
Mike

Thanks Mike. I'll keep working on it.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.