View post ("Hard to Handle" - awesome lesson)

View thread

maggior
maggior
08/06/2014 6:06 pm
Hi Mike -

I'm glad to hear that you agree that the phrasing in the opening lick is tricky. It sounds so easy...yet it isn't.

I did what you suggest in the beginning - I had to just to get the lick under my fingers. I'll go through the exercise again though. I need to analyze it because I feel like I'm playing it "floating over" the rhythm rather than locking into it. It hasn't clicked for me as to how it locks in with the rhythm of the song.

This may be an excuse to purchase Transcribe! so I can really slow it down and analyze it.

At rehearsal last night, for some reason I decided to come in with the solo slightly early. That made a big difference and I didn't feel like I was cramming a bunch of notes in for the sake of it. We are performing this song on Friday and I'm going to go with that approach for now...it works at least.

The outro solo came together for me well. Now I've got some new bluesy riffs to add to my arsenal. I can play that little hammer-on triplet thing up to speed. Success!! Can't wait to let this song rip on Friday!

Thanks for the help Mike!

Rich