View post ("Hard to Handle" - awesome lesson)

View thread

Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/22/2014 2:31 am
Hey guys!! How long should it take to nail a song? Man, there is just no accurate timeframe here. It depends on so many factors that I could not even begin to give you a ballpark answer.

I've been playing for close to 30 years, and to this day, it still surprises me which parts or licks I have trouble nailing down. It depends on so many mechanical factors (phrasing, timing, positions, picking patterns, etc), that sometimes a lick on a recording is just awkward enough for me to copy that I have no choice but to spend hours practicing the lick at a slow tempo just to get it down.

And I haven't even brought up the mental aspect : memorization! Hearing the music in your head, and having enough musical experience and technical ability to be able to respond and execute! Every player is different in each category!

The only surefire thing I can tell you is that the practice you put in is all cumulative. Meaning, for each hour you've practiced a lick, you've gotten that much better, and over time, licks and solos will become easier and easier to nail down. Unfortunately, each player is different and progresses at his/her own pace.

Hope this helps!!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach