View post ("Hard to Handle" - awesome lesson)

View thread

fretsmith
fretsmith
02/27/2014 6:21 pm
Hi Maggior- I know EXACTLY what your talking about here because I feel this way a lot.

On another thread ( or maybe another forum? ) someone eluded to the notion that tab dependent players (can) sound soul-less. At first I rejected the idea but, after mulling on it some, I think it's quite true and I am amongst the guilty.

I'm frequently unsatisfied with my lead playing (on covers) and I kind of resolved that I just didn't have the talent gene. Phrasing a little off, timing a little off ...etc. The notes are there - but the feel comes up short. I think Mike's advice for you fits me also.

Every time I query the pros here the advice almost always involves an increase in the quantity and quality of my practice time. For me, I think I need to quit searching for a magic pill and just get on with more frequent and mindful practice. Glad you brought this up and posed it to Mike. Maybe, after hearing for the umpteenth time, I will finally shed the lazy and resolve to put in the work that I need to achieve that elusive next level.

Always good talking with you brother :) ((thanks also to Mike))