Resting the Guitar On My Leg

Huffheinz
Huffheinz
01/25/2013 10:45 pm
I'm a big guy with chronic back problems and I find it very uncomfortable to rest the guitar on my leg and play like I see in most all of the GT videos. The slight twist is uncomfortable for me and I feel like I have to hunch over to access the strings. Not to mention the fact that it also feels like the guitar wants to slip right off of my leg.

I'm a bass player who has always relied on the guitar strap to hold the bass up in the center of my torso. When playing my strat or semi-hollow 6-string guitar, I always rely on the strap and rest the bottom of the guitar on my inner thigh (much like the classical guitar position).

The only time I can semi-comfortably play without a strap while resting the guitar on my leg is when I have something to put my foot up on.

Is this a big deal? Is it a bad habit? Is it OK to just use the strap to hold the guitar centered in my torso? Or should I work on resting the crook of the guitar on my leg like I see most people do?
- Huffheinz
# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
01/26/2013 1:27 am
On the 'net there are many mentions of holding the guitar 'classical' style. Some make good points about that particular method improving reach. Others speak to accomodating large instruments to small bodies.

Some also fault not looking cool as the main reason for the lack of widespread adaption of the classical style. Of course, those concerned with 'cool' make exceptions for flying wedge guitars. ;)

Maintain proper (straight back) posture, use a strap to mitigate the pressure of holding the guitar, and make sure your reach isn't compromised by faulty holding/guitar position. Otherwise, I defer to GT's instructors. :D
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
haghj500
haghj500
01/26/2013 2:52 am
Just a thought,
They sell little rubber mats that can be put on the car dash so you can put your phone on it or whatever. You can put something thin like that between the Guitar and your leg. It wonā€™t scratch the guitar and will keep it from running down your leg.
# 3
Huffheinz
Huffheinz
01/31/2013 9:19 pm
Thanks for the responses. I did some reading up on holding the guitar classical style and decided to just stay the course, use my strap and keep my back straight.

It's funny that haghj500 mentioned using a non-slip mat. When I was first messing around with the different positions, I played around with a mousepad I had lying around to see if I could keep the guitar from slipping down my leg. It didn't really work.

I have short legs and discovered that I need my knee slightly elevated to get the top of my leg to slope back into my body in order to be comfortable playing without a strap. A stool with a good cross bar works.

At the end of the day, I prefer using a strap. It allows me to hold my guitar in a semi-classical position with the guitar body centered on my torso. The only difference is that I don't rest the guitar on my leg at all, it is suspended by the strap. This is really comfortable for me both sitting and standing.
- Huffheinz
# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
02/01/2013 1:20 am
[QUOTE=Huffheinz]...At the end of the day, I prefer using a strap. It allows me to hold my guitar in a semi-classical position with the guitar body centered on my torso. The only difference is that I don't rest the guitar on my leg at all, it is suspended by the strap...QUOTE]

Sounds like exactly what I'm doing. I started 'cause my acoustic seemed to be big for me. I found the positioning also helped with my reach just as one of the internet articles I read said it would.

Last night I ran an old VHS tape of SRV playing with Al King. King held the guitar as described above so we're in pretty good company. (but then, it was a flying wedge guitar ;) ) I also played a DVD of the 1964 TAMI show... I've never seen so many guitars held above the waist... :D
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 5
duck7264
duck7264
02/01/2013 3:12 am
Huff,

I once had a guitar teacher that told me my "mechanics" were terrible. He suggested that I put my left foot on a small stool (they actually make these for playing guitar) and actually hold my guitar into my body and at an angle, in other words the headstock would be pointing up towards say the top of a roof. I could not beleive the difference this made in my ability to stretch, and actually play with little to no mistakes, Just a thought. I still play like this and I wear a strap even when I am sitting and try to keep my back as straight as I can. Hope this helps.

Duck
# 6
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
02/01/2013 3:37 pm
There's some of that classical-style sneaking in again... :D
-- Chet Atkins
# 7
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/02/2013 10:09 am
If ever needed, there is this product - Click >>

Still, I practice with a strap. I always have. Allows me ideal placement and avoid awkward position, wrist fatigue and all that.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.