View post (Your progress?)

View thread

Toddst
Toddst
11/10/2012 6:18 pm
It's interesting to read about how others are doing. I started with GT about 9 months ago at age 52 after a sporadic pecking away at the guitar over the span of my lifetime. I could play a few open chords and some sloppy renditions of a some popular intros (Stairway To Heaven) but no complete songs. I knew nothing about theory, how chords are formed, minor or major scale pattens etc. I was always amazed at how players could go all over the fretboard with their solos and never hit a bad note. How did they memorize all that?

Well, about 550 hours of practice later and with the help of the GT lessons I am starting to understand. I've completed the Fundamentals, Rock Levels I and II and Blues Level I, and am just starting Blues Level II. Taking the blues course right after the rock course helped clarify the theory and techniques that were confusing at first. I plan to do the country course right after blues. Hearing something repeated and explained by a different person in a different way can be very helpful.

At this stage I know more technique than songs, so I will be concentrating more on my song repertoire. I'm currently working on La Grange.

On a final note, I do keep track of time practiced and advocate it for anyone motivated to improve. It's a great way to set goals. I subscribe to the Malcolm Gladwell theory of 10,000 hours to maximize potential. My original goal was to complete 1000 hours in the first year. That would be about 3 hours a day with some days missed. That turned out to be a bit ambitious but by having the goal and keeping track of the time it kind of forced me to pick up the guitar everyday. This is not to say it should be all about the time, but if you are practicing accurately, trying to learn something new every day, and putting in the time, you can't help but get better.

Good luck to everyone with your progress!

Todd