Learning to play

Insigma83
Insigma83
03/29/2002 1:28 am
Would you say that when starting to play the guitar, (providing you CAN do this), it would be be useful and effective to learn using three types of guitar i.e. The electric, steel stringed acoustic and classical nylon guitar with a wide board? Because this way you can develop all styles and techniques?

Just a thought....
When someone pis*es you off, relax, and pick up the guitar.... then beat them around the head with it!
# 1
jack7
jack7
03/29/2002 2:50 am
I think one style is enough just starting out
after you get fundamentals down you could move about.
Rock-n-Roll 4 Ever
:cool: Jack 7
# 2
thebluesbarn
thebluesbarn
03/29/2002 6:25 pm
Insigma83-
Learn on one type of guitar, acoustic is best for a couple of reasons. My favorite reason is becuase they stay in tune longer. Also, I start with the basics on any guitar. After you get some basics down, pick a genre or style of playing and learn as much as you can about it. For example:
If you love Country, learn how to play Country music on the guitar. Once you have a good grasp of playing and have some theory under your belt, you can learn other styles more easily. To much can be confusing and frustrating causing someone to lose focus or quit altogether.
http://www.thebluesbarn.com
# 3

03/29/2002 11:36 pm

Just to add to thebluesbarn's post.

I suggest beginning on the accoustic for one other reason : it harder to get a good sound on the accoustic.

If you can easely do a F on the accoustic it will seem a lot easier when you start playing electric. Also goes for speed. You'll be faster on an electric than accoustic, well most of us anyway.

Build strenght and accuracy on the accoustic, it's going to make your life a lot easier afterwards.
# 4
Insigma83
Insigma83
03/29/2002 11:58 pm
But then what about the down sides... for a beginner anyway.. When I started playing all I had was a nylon stringed acoustic, I didnt have access to an electric. My dad taught me the basic chords A C D E F G.

I found that once I had mastered, the chords, theory of chords, majors, sevenths, ninths, minors, and other denoms... I had the chance to play on the electric.

For the life of me I could not play it coz I was used to the massive fretboard of the nylon acoustic.

If your talking about the steel-stringed acoustic, they do have similar size fretboards, I found with these that you learn to press very hard and your calouses develop painfully, but become very hard, so to get the note you dont realise your pressing hard. Then you do this on an electric, which means the note you try is half a step to high.
Im sure there are loads more.... but I cant think at the minute
When someone pis*es you off, relax, and pick up the guitar.... then beat them around the head with it!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.