novice guitar player here.

alanfrombolton
alanfrombolton
11/13/2011 11:39 am
hi just starting out on the long road to learn to play.. so i am starting with the free lessons, then i intend to go onto the payed for lessons if all go's well..

many thanks, alan (from the uk)
# 1
alanfrombolton
alanfrombolton
11/13/2011 1:02 pm
Originally Posted by: alanfromboltonhi just starting out on the long road to learn to play.. so i am starting with the free lessons, then i intend to go onto the payed for lessons if all go's well..
now my question is. how long should i stay on a lesson before moving on to the next one.. one aday, one a week. what did you guys do, or suggest.

many thanks, alan (from the uk)

i just clicked on the second lesson and its members only, i thought the "free" lessons would give me the basics, to see if i like the teaching style, before deciding if i should become a member..
so i am abit disapointed. the rest of the "free" lessons are not really any good to me has they are too advanced.
so i dont know if i should become a paying member or not, its a real shame that some of the lessons that are free do not follow on with each othere like i presumed they would..
"ho what to do"
# 2
compart1
compart1
11/13/2011 1:44 pm
Hi Alan,
You can try Guitar Tricks by the month.. It's the only way you will see what they have to offer.
Fundamental 1 has about everything you need to know about guitar and Fundamentals 2 shows how to play the notes and scales and how they work together. Then you can go on to your selected genre.
You would need a ton of books to find everything here there is to learn.. You would not regret selecting GuitarTricks..
Gordon
# 3
Mike_x1x
Mike_x1x
11/13/2011 5:18 pm
Hi Alan
I too started by trying the free lessons.
The free lessons are just a taster for what is on offer on Guitar Tricks.
I joined and pay by the month, believe me its well worth it.
( in our money its about Ā£9.50 ish PM)
Follow the structered learning (fundimentals 1 + 2) then go from there.
The lessons are well planned and take you step by step and you will be stunned by how quick your playing develops.
I.m doing both acoustic( Lisa McComick) and electric lessons (Ben Lindholm and Anders Mouridsen) and aslo from Christopher Schlegel.
( I do have a lot of free time now)
All the Instructors are great at replying to any questions/problems you have via this Forum.
If, for any reason you decide that this site is not for you just tell them and stop paying, its that simple.
But I would say if my finances had permitted I would have gone for the year subscription, I have found it that good.
Hope you found this helpful.
mike
# 4
alanfrombolton
alanfrombolton
11/13/2011 5:33 pm
Originally Posted by: compart1Hi Alan,
You can try Guitar Tricks by the month.. It's the only way you will see what they have to offer.
Fundamental 1 has about everything you need to know about guitar and Fundamentals 2 shows how to play the notes and scales and how they work together. Then you can go on to your selected genre.
You would need a ton of books to find everything here there is to learn.. You would not regret selecting GuitarTricks..
Gordon

thanks gordon, yes i must admit i am very very tempted to try i trial month,
i do like this website and the free lessons i have watched i like the look of
so perhaps thats the way to go.
# 5
hrandersoniii
hrandersoniii
11/13/2011 7:31 pm
Can be done easily and cost effectively. The fine folks at GT will constantly have sales and stuff that will get you a full year and almost half price if you can afford to do that as well.
Since I became a member here, I've gotten a LOT of stuff drilled into my head that I never knew with the music theories and pentatonic scales etc... I never knew how you tied them all together "Scientifically."
With that in mind, I've recently have gone back to college. This year I began taking a major in music. What I've learned here has made learning what I need for the major a BREEZE! At the end of spring for my finals in both my music appreciation and my guitar class, I have to compose my own song using everything that is taught HERE! I was able to go into the class, KNOWING my scales and KNOWING exactly what is coming up thanks to the fundamentals taught HERE!
Now, you may be asking WHY I am kicking out the big money for college if what I am being taught here is cheaper? Simple enough, in order to have credibility for teaching others, everyone likes to see those papers hanging on the wall of your class or office.. and when they ask. "where did you learn?" It will be more impressive with the degree behind you instead of saying I was taught online cheaper than what I am getting paid to teach you for! :D
This next Spring though (Thanks to Chris Schlagel's excellent instructions for the fundamentals and such, sorry other instructors, this one goes to Chris) I will be in the school Jazz Band. That is normally reserved for second year students! So that is saying something about these courses! And to answer you question before it is asked, I've only been playing SERIOUSLY since March of this year! That is the great thing about being a member here also, you can KEEP COMING BACK to the areas where you need help with until you get it down! You learn at your OWN pace!
If you follow each and EVERY step in the fundamentals (Even though SOME may seem to be TOO EASY, DO THEM) you will find that they ALL TIE TOGETHER! You may not think that you want to learn the Blues, but LEARN them! That is the building block to ALL of the other types of playing methods! They ALL TIE TOGETHER!
When I first started here, I fell in love with Lisa's voice and hands (Don't feel like I am weird Lisa, you know you are great :D) as she was the first one that I started with on the acoustic. Chris got me going into the direction of Jazz (By the way, you can watch Chris Schlagel, Lisa McKormic, Neal Walter and others on Youtube as well!) I've always loved the blues and classic rock and had a soft spot for Jazz, but Chris really sealed it for me with his concerts in the parks...
Now on for the major leagues, you can always look around the internet to learn to play songs from other people... like those 10 year olds on Youtube etc.. BUT, if you want to learn to play the song CORRECTLY AS DONE BY THE ARTIST, then you will want to learn here. GT takes the time to go through the process of getting permissions from the actual recording labels, etc, so that you can LEARN the ACTUAL PLAYSTYLE! It takes a little more time, BUT, in the long run, you will KNOW the REAL style.. you can sit back, let your head swell a little bit as you impress your friends and soak up all the compliments!
The forums also come in quite handy. You will find that you will have some problems that other folks have already encountered and have asked the questions and gotten fairly decent answers to and put them here. The forums go back quite a way, so you can always look to see if someone asked a question already and gotten answers. Things from "My fingers are too fat" to "What are the best guitar strings for my Mexican Fender Strat?"
So now, I will let YOU figure this out.. would that be worth $15 a month? Figure out how much a teacher would cost you then compare what they will give you once a week as to this whenever you want it :D

Ok JD, I did what you told me! Now release my Turtle UNHARMED!!
;)
Love to all my GT Friends
Howard
# 6
compart1
compart1
11/14/2011 12:01 am
Hey Howard,
Good job..
Don't forget to post a video of your simester recital..
# 7
adir olf
adir olf
11/14/2011 1:22 am
I would just like to add the following:

I started as a total beginner and I love this site. I went from month to month for 2 and 1/2 years and just this week switched to annual.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be disappointed no matter which route you take.
:D
Adir olf
My new "best group ever": THE YAWPERS
Rocking acoustics really hard
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbpkAhifOvw
# 8
alanfrombolton
alanfrombolton
11/14/2011 12:41 pm
thanks howard, that took some reading, but well worth it, i will be joining for a month then i will see how things go after that, and maybe do a full year if all go's well.

alan.
# 9
hrandersoniii
hrandersoniii
11/15/2011 12:23 am
and yes, I do tend to get wordy, but I don't ever seem to feel that I can get a whole thought or message with just a few lines to get someone to actually get a true feeling with text. So a full explanation seems to do better :D

Howard the wordy one :D
# 10
nataliecatcat
nataliecatcat
11/15/2011 12:45 am
i really like this and i am hoping to get payed reasons once i get over with the rest of the leassons if all goes well in job i am pretty sure my playing is going to go good on this
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.