Greetings from Northren NY

larrynason
larrynason
08/02/2011 12:40 pm
HI,

I am really a total noob when it comes to playing guitar. I love the way the lessons are laid out. Having problems with my index finger when cording because it is wider than my other fingers due to an accident from my youth. The fingers still get pretty sore from cording so the going is slow. I am trying to find the way to work around the messed up index figure so it slows me down. I know things will get better with practice but does anyone have some tips where I can work around or even learn better with the issue I am facing?

Larry
# 1
guitargeorge50
Bobby Howe
guitargeorge50
Bobby Howe
08/02/2011 2:39 pm
Hi Larry,

First of all, welcome to Guitar Tricks!

Second, I don't know specifically how to address your situation but I can give you what I think is some encouragement that comes from a similar situation.

In case you are not familiar with Django Reinhardt, a fantastic guitar player from the 30's and 40's, he also had problems with his hand from an accident in his youth. Only 2 fingers of his left had were totally usable to play on the neck of the guitar. His 3rd and 4th fingers were of a very limited use. The point of this illustration is that Django overcame this seemingly insurmountable situation to become one of the greatest players of all time.

There are others who have had various problems with the hands but went on to become accomplished players. The desire outweighed the handicap.

You can see videos of Django's playing on You Tube. I hope this helps and I hope you continue on with your guitar learning. If I can be of any further help, please let me know.

Best,

BH
[FONT=Verdana]Bobby Howe[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Alias: guitargeorge50[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Guitar Tricks Instructor[/FONT]

www.bobbyhowe.com

Bobby Howe's My Space Page

Bobby Howe's Facebook Page

[FONT=Verdana]"Guitarists should be able to pick up the guitar and play music on it for an hour, without a rhythm section or anything." - Joe Pass[/FONT]
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.