Raz and Rick

Crossbow
Crossbow
07/11/2010 2:50 am
I know you guys are top notch player's. I am working on learning Lyin Eyes from the Eagles and wanted to know if either of you played this song? If so are these the correct cords?

Guitar chords,verses: G Gmaj7 C Am D G G Gmaj7 C Am C G

Chorus: G C G CG EM Bm Am G C A Am D G

Ending: G Gmaj7 Am7 D G

Thanks in advance for your expertise.
Crossbow
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/11/2010 1:21 pm
Originally Posted by: CrossbowI know you guys are top notch player's. I am working on learning Lyin Eyes from the Eagles and wanted to know if either of you played this song? If so are these the correct cords?

Guitar chords,verses: G Gmaj7 C Am D G G Gmaj7 C Am C G

Chorus: G C G CG EM Bm Am G C A Am D G

Ending: G Gmaj7 Am7 D G

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Ha, ha! I am very far from a top notch player, I'm just enthusiastic! ;)

I used to play that song, and what you have seems pretty close. On the second half of the D in the verse add C note with your pinky at the 3rd fret.

I think you are missing a D in the chorus somewhere, but I could be wrong. I haven't played this in a couple of decades. I'll see if I have a copy of the song around and give it a run through.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
Crossbow
Crossbow
07/11/2010 4:31 pm
Great and thanks for all your help. Also if you play it on your Vibro Champ please tell me what settings you played it on. I love this new amp but getting the right settings is mind blowing. So many cool sounds but I know there is a correct one to be practicing on.
Crossbow
# 3
Crossbow
Crossbow
07/11/2010 4:39 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboI used to play that song, and what you have seems pretty close. On the second half of the D in the verse add C note with your pinky at the 3rd fret.

I was doing the D then a quick pinky on the C note but did not add that on the list. Thought it sounded right but was not sure. Like they told us if it sounds good then play it...LOL I am also playing this with a backing track I found on the net. Not sure where or how I found it but after a few days of searching I located it. I can email it to you if ya need to hear the one I am playing to.
Crossbow
# 4
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
07/11/2010 5:30 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboHa, ha! I am very far from a top notch player, I'm just enthusiastic! ;)

Yup me too. I've only been playing a little over a year and a half. Just because I've racked up a large post count, don't let that fool you. Along with the fact that I'm always talking about, buying and or selling gear.

Also, I've never tried to learn anyone elses music. I find that I primarily work on my own riffs, work on fingering, work on accuracy and theory.

I've come a long with in that year and a half considering I have my career at work, and a second full time job at home as dad and husband. :)

On yeah... I'm a HUGE tone seeking (keeping it family friendly) goober.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 5
Crossbow
Crossbow
07/11/2010 6:33 pm
Rick,
I hear ya on family & career deal. Mine are grown and gone so that leaves me open time other then the honey due list and work. Sounds like you have done well over the last 1.5 yrs. I figured it will take me a good year to get most of this basic stuff down pat.
Crossbow
# 6
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
07/12/2010 8:06 am
Hey guys,
I feel a need to chime in here, and give you a couple of pointers about this great song.

First off the G chord is not really a G chord, it's actually what's called a sus chord. Which is short for suspended chord, to put it another way I would call this a G sus 5 chord because I'm adding another D note to it. This is my way of remembering this, not sure if it's the correct terminology or not.

The best and quickest way to explain this is to tell you how to make the chord.

Index finger 2nd fret 5th string
Middle finger 3rd fret 6th string
Ring finger 3rd fret 2nd string
Pinky 3rd fret 1st string

Strum all the strings for this one, and the next chord is what makes the song in my opinion.

Drop your index finger to the 2nd fret on the 1st string, and pick your pinky up. This will give you the part that hasn't quite matched up, and will look like this.

Index finger 2nd fret 1st string
Middle finger 3rd fret 6th string
Ring finger 3rd fret 2nd string

This is a sus chord also, I would call this a G sus 7 chord because I'm adding an F# note. This is the 7th note of the scale, but not always the 7th of the chord. The F note in the first fret on the first string is used in a G major 7th chord. You're still adding the 7th note, but you can tell a big difference in these 2 chords.

On this 2nd chord, you really want to try to catch the bottom 4 strings. Practice these 2 chord positions, get the switching down, and then try strumming it.

Here is the progression for the intro of the song.

G sus 5, G sus 7, C, Am, D, G sus 5

Work on this, and it should help you figure everything else out. Let us know how it goes, and I hope this helps. Many of my bluegrass lessons use the G sus 5 chord, including this latest tutorial.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=995

You may think that bluegrass can't help you, but knowing these strumming patterns will be helpful in many styles of music. Ok, that's it from me, be sure to let us know how you're doing.
# 7
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/12/2010 11:46 am
Lesson: Why it is better to ask an instructor about a song than some hack like me. :)
# 8
Crossbow
Crossbow
07/12/2010 12:05 pm
Sixpicker,

Thanks I will give this a shot tonight when I get home from work and let you know how it worked out.

Raz,

Because a hack version is a work around to Git-R-Done!!
Crossbow
# 9
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
07/12/2010 3:23 pm
Originally Posted by: Razbo some hack like me. :)

Just remember, YOU said it first. I didn't :D
# 10
Crossbow
Crossbow
07/14/2010 3:48 pm
Raz,

I would have asked an instructor but they do not have this song listed here so not sure they would want to help on this matter. In fact there is not a lot of beginner lessons on the electric guitar here. I have finished all the ones Chris listed "1 & 2". It seems they target acoustic guitars more for beginners here. I wish they had more for the electric and there might have that I am over looking or can not find. Chris being the only beginner teacher for the electric guitar seems to have him over loaded so I don't want to bug him. Thanks for your help with this song. I just about have it figured out now.

Sixpick,

I tried your cords but they do not sound right to me or with the backing track. All the song sheets I have found show just using the G, Gmaj7, C, Am, D and Dc note. There's an A & Em in there for the chorus part. I have the strumming almost down pat but need to work on the flip with the chorus.
Crossbow
# 11
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
07/14/2010 3:56 pm
Originally Posted by: CrossbowRaz,
In fact there is not a lot of beginner lessons on the electric guitar here. I have finished all the ones Chris listed "1 & 2". [/quote]
Are you satisfied with your progress? Do you feel that you have this down good enough and feel comfortable with it?

Originally Posted by: CrossbowIt seems they target acoustic guitars more for beginners here. [/quote]
All the theory work is universal between electric and acoustic.

[QUOTE=Crossbow]I wish they had more for the electric and there might have that I am over looking or can not find.

What are you looking for exactly?

[QUOTE=Crossbow]Chris being the only beginner teacher for the electric guitar seems to have him over loaded so I don't want to bug him.

While it's true that Chris had done most of the beginning lessons in section one and two, by no means does that restrict you to only asking him. You should feel free to ask any instructor any questions you like. I personally wouldn't ask one of the country guys anything about thrash metal but... You get my point.

I'm really confused as to why you feel this site is mostly focused on acoustic.
# 12
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/14/2010 4:50 pm
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerJust remember, YOU said it first. I didn't :D[/QUOTE]
I never claimed otherwise. :p

Anyway, I used to have a real 'Git er done' attitude. If I couldn't figure out a chord, I'd eventually substitute something and play it that way until I figured it out. The 'unwashed masses' never knew the difference. :D

I am not the best person to ask about song chords, at least as far as stuff from my old days.

[QUOTE=Crossbow]In fact there is not a lot of beginner lessons on the electric guitar here. I have finished all the ones Chris listed "1 & 2". It seems they target acoustic guitars more for beginners here.

I actually found just the opposite. I couldn't figure out why they seemed to assume everyone was playing electric! I guess it depends on what lessons you are looking at.

If you focus in on Lisa McC's lessons, you'll find some great acoustic stuff.

And, as Mr Blacker said, the lessons are interchangeable. It's like comparing a ripping hammer to a common hammer. Basically the same tool, they just look a little different. (Nice manly analogy there... wuh! wuh! wuh! :D)
# 13
Crossbow
Crossbow
07/14/2010 8:29 pm
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerAre you satisfied with your progress? Do you feel that you have this down good enough and feel comfortable with it?[/QUOTE]

Thats a good question. Just how long does it take one to learn 3 easy "A,D & E" cords? If you look at how he plays the very beginning of this: http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=11064&c_id=1&ch_id=6
it is not the same as lesson at the end where he has you playing it like this: http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=11092&c_id=1&ch_id=6&s_id=442

This can confuse one when they wanted to learn how he played it to start with and not how the lesson shows at the end. The answer to your question would be yes I have the 3 cords down pat.

Originally Posted by: RickBlackerAll the theory work is universal between electric and acoustic.[/quote]

Really? For the life of me I can not get my electric to sound like a acoustic. Lets say if I took one of Lisa songs that she teaches her beginners on the acoustic, It does not in no way shape or form sound the same on my electric. The song was made for acoustic to start with or she would be playing an electric for this lesson.

Originally Posted by: RickBlackerWhat are you looking for exactly?

Well seeing I posted a song on here that is not on this site then it says I am looking for some older rock songs like the Eagles. Something easy for a beginner like the one I posted. I played this on the acoustic while my electric was in the shop and again there was no comparison at all. My electric blew the acoustic out the water so to say.

[QUOTE=RickBlacker]While it's true that Chris had done most of the beginning lessons in section one and two, by no means does that restrict you to only asking him. You should feel free to ask any instructor any questions you like. I personally wouldn't ask one of the country guys anything about thrash metal but... You get my point.

Just feels wrong to ask another instructor that is not teaching the lesson questions when they were not the one teaching it. Make sense?

[QUOTE=RickBlacker]I'm really confused as to why you feel this site is mostly focused on acoustic.

Maybe I am missing some beginner lessons here? Out side of 1 & 2 from Chris is there another instructor teaching beginner lessons on an electric guitar here? Not the easiest site to navigate since I see other lessons posted on the forum that is not up front on the lesson site.

Now with all this said and done. I am not knocking this site at all and I think its a great site over all for someone that is in fact a beginner from scratch. Like I said before, I use to play a little many,many years ago but I forgot everything I knew until I started playing again. Some of it has started to come back to me with the help from the lessons Chris has. If not then I would not be tackling such a song as the Eagles "lyin eyes".

I am just busting your chops like your busting mine...LMAO I still think you can understand what I am trying to say never the less.
Crossbow
# 14
Crossbow
Crossbow
07/14/2010 8:32 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboIf you focus in on Lisa McC's lessons, you'll find some great acoustic stuff.

Bingo!!! What did that man just say? LMAO ;)
Crossbow
# 15
Crossbow
Crossbow
07/14/2010 8:38 pm
Ok I found one that is close to what I am asking here:

Originally Posted by: lynchjukHi Lisa

Thanks for your reply.

I have now finished your Acoustic Strumming lessons 1-7 and I must say it was a great help, as with all your lessons.

I wanted to learn more strumming patterns mostly in the Rock style. If i do your Country course will that afffect Rock Strumming Patterns latter on in my guitar playing? Should I consentrate on Rock from now?

Many Thanks

James[/QUOTE]

And here is the majic answer:

[QUOTE=LisaMcC]Hi James,

Moving over to a concentration on Rock strumming might not be a bad idea at this juncture. The Country course really does focus more on folk and country traditions. It wouldn't hurt you, but may not be the fastest route to where you'd like to go.

Have you checked out the official GT Rock Courses?

-Lisa

So as you see here is another person confused like I am. More easy rock strumimg with songs that we know like the Eagles would be great!!
Crossbow
# 16
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
07/14/2010 8:45 pm
Hey Crossbow....

If I understand you correctly, you're saying you would like to see more rock style strumming?
# 17
Crossbow
Crossbow
07/14/2010 9:59 pm
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerHey Crossbow....

If I understand you correctly, you're saying you would like to see more rock style strumming?

You sir are almost correct!

Let me add these two words "Simple & Easy" rock style strumming that also contains easy cords. Lets not forget these would need to be done with using an electric guitar. :)
Crossbow
# 18
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/14/2010 10:00 pm
Originally Posted by: Crossbow
Really? For the life of me I can not get my electric to sound like a acoustic. Lets say if I took one of Lisa songs that she teaches her beginners on the acoustic, It does not in no way shape or form sound the same on my electric. The song was made for acoustic to start with or she would be playing an electric for this lesson.

Theory has little to do with the sound of the particular guitar. That's like saying I need one theory course for a Strat and another for a Les Paul!

I think you should disregard how busy you think Chris Schlegel (for example) is. If he's teaching the vid, and you have questions, that's what he's getting paid for.

In these open forums, you'll get a lot of input from people like Rick, myself and others. We don't benefit from the site's revenues, but we do like to be helpful. If you have specific issues with the courses, criticisms, compliments or what have you, then you should be making use of the Instructor forums.

I'm not trying to be snarky. We just can't help you with the site issues :)
# 19
Crossbow
Crossbow
07/14/2010 10:04 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboI'm not trying to be snarky. We just can't help you with the site issues :)

Git-R-Done!!!
Crossbow
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.