Can I change the look of my humbucker?

dragon's child
dragon's child
05/13/2010 12:38 am
Hi everyone, here's the thing, I've got a new black HSS set of pickups for my stratocaster, but I want them all to be vintage white like the ones that came with the guitar, I know that I can easily exchange the cover of the single coils, but can I do the same thing with the humbucker? cause I've notice that it looks more complicated... and If I can, would it affect the sound?

Thanks...
# 1
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
05/13/2010 2:57 am
Are you talking about changing the color of the plastic bobbins?

You can always take your pups our and spray paint them, then put a coating of some kind of clear coat on them.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/13/2010 11:48 am
You can get HB covers, too

http://shop.ebay.ca/i.html?_nkw=humbucker+covers&_armrs=1&_dmd=2&_from=&_ipg=
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 3
dragon's child
dragon's child
05/14/2010 5:36 pm
yes...that's what I meant... the plastic bobbins! but, could I take off the brand new black ones and replace them with the old vitage white ones? would it change somehow the sound?

About the HB covers... I dont think they would look good because of the pickguard...I dont even know if it fits...

thanx..
# 4
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/14/2010 6:02 pm
Originally Posted by: dragon's childyes...that's what I meant... the plastic bobbins! but, could I take off the brand new black ones and replace them with the old vitage white ones? would it change somehow the sound?

About the HB covers... I dont think they would look good because of the pickguard...I dont even know if it fits...

thanx..

In theory, just changing the plastic top should not affect the sound in any humanly noticeable way. You are not changing the windings or the magnets or pole pieces.

I have never built a pick up, though. I'm not sure if you can just pry the tops off and press the new ones on or what damage that may cause. Have you tried prying the top off the old pup to see what's what? ...It might be a good experiment to see if you can pry the old one off and then put it back on and see if that pick up still works.
# 5
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
05/14/2010 8:16 pm
You can't change the bobbin without a rewind.

# 6
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/14/2010 11:32 pm
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerYou can't change the bobbin without a rewind.

What's the link for?

And you are right. Unlike a single coil with a piece of flatwork on top & bottom, the bobbin for an HB is an actual spool for the wire. I was unaware of this.

So, back to the OP and HB covers...? The only issue would be if the opening in the pick guard was too small, and it would only cost $4 to find out. And if so, you can still widen the opening in the pickguard. I bet it's a standard opening, though.
# 7
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
05/15/2010 12:51 am
Originally Posted by: RazboWhat's the link for?

Click on it. :rolleyes:
# 8
dragon's child
dragon's child
05/15/2010 1:31 am
damn! I guess I wont be able to change the plastic bobbins then... I'm afraid I might screw the HB... and I dont like the way a HB cover would look on my stratocaster... I was hoping there's a way to change its brand new look... I might get a new one in the future then... Anyway Ill do the experiment with the old one and see how it works...

thanx!
# 9
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/15/2010 3:10 am
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerClick on it. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

What, what does that do? Oh yeah, it's a pic of a single coil pup cover. ...Still don't get it! :p

[QUOTE=dragon's child]damn! I guess I wont be able to change the plastic bobbins then... I'm afraid I might screw the HB... and I dont like the way a HB cover would look on my stratocaster... I was hoping there's a way to change its brand new look... I might get a new one in the future then... Anyway Ill do the experiment with the old one and see how it works...

thanx!

You never said what kind of pick ups you got. Something special I presume?

You might also try checking here http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/
under the Electronics forum.
# 10
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
05/15/2010 1:23 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboWhat, what does that do? Oh yeah, it's a pic of a single coil pup cover. ...Still don't get it! :p

Yeah it's to show that you can't simply replace the bobbin. Thats all. I believe could be wrong that humbuckers are similar. now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen the construction of a bucker. More I think about it, the more your question makes sense. Damn it, Score one for razbo!
# 11
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/15/2010 5:52 pm
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerDamn it, Score one for razbo!

Yay for me! :D

This is what I looked at for my "analysis"...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Parts/Humbucker_Pickup_Parts.html

...clearly one would not be pulling off the tops of these bobbins. :rolleyes:
# 12
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
05/15/2010 11:25 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboYay for me! :D

This is what I looked at for my "analysis"...

...clearly one would not be pulling off the tops of these bobbins. :rolleyes:

Right, you'd have to do a complete rewind. So, I go back to painting them.
I do like some of the colored pups.
# 13
dragon's child
dragon's child
05/16/2010 4:55 am
Originally Posted by: RazboYou never said what kind of pick ups you got. Something special I presume?

Actually they are not that special, well at least they are not expensive, they are a HSS set of Wilkinson pups, I read reviews and looked them up on the internet and I liked what I saw, they turned out great, just what I expected, but I feel their look doesnt match my guitar.

Im trying to find some professional help here in venezuela, someone that can change the plastic bobbins for a reasonable price and guarantee that they will still rock after the work is done...
# 14
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/16/2010 12:08 pm
Originally Posted by: dragon's childActually they are not that special, well at least they are not expensive, they are a HSS set of Wilkinson pups, I read reviews and looked them up on the internet and I liked what I saw, they turned out great, just what I expected, but I feel their look doesnt match my guitar.

Im trying to find some professional help here in venezuela, someone that can change the plastic bobbins for a reasonable price and guarantee that they will still rock after the work is done...

I had some Wilkinson pups on a guitar I sold and I rather liked them.

From the discussion in this thread, you should now be aware that changing the bobbins will require a rewind. (I am! :) ) It will [u]not[/u] be a Wilkinson pup any more.
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.