Strumming

TaylorSwiftYAY
TaylorSwiftYAY
04/05/2010 2:59 am
I'm trying to learn some songs. The chords aren't a problem. I find them on a popular chords sites. The strumming's a problem. It never says how to strum. Even if it did, it probably wouldn't help because I wouldn't understand it. Listening to the artist's official version usually doesn't help because there's usually a full band behind them.
With everything that doesn't help, WHAT CAN I DO TO FIGURE OUT THE STRUMMING PATTERN, BESIDES FIGURING IT OUT MYSELF? ALSO, ANY TIPS FOR FIGURING IT OUT MYSELF?
A lifetime is too short for music but music is plenty for a lifetime. I don't know who said this first and I know I'm not remembering it right, but it's SO true!
# 1
shredhead_x
shredhead_x
04/05/2010 6:04 pm
I would recommend that you simply try and strum at your own pace along with the song itself. A rough approximation of that song's strumming should come naturally when you're keeping in time with the tune. Often the rhythm pattersn can help you figure out when to hit the strings to get it as close as possible to the original. Good luck :)
I'll see the light tonight... flashing through the sky...

===

Learn to Play Guitar eBook - Free Download at http://www.guitarmusiclessons.org/
# 2
compart1
compart1
04/06/2010 2:53 am
Hi TaylorSwiftYAY
here one of Lisa's lesson.. maybe this will give you a start...

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=13173&c_id=6&ch_id=29&s_id=761

Chris also have a couple on strummimg patterns

Good luck and keep on pickin..
Gordon
# 3
BenYoung
BenYoung
04/08/2010 6:43 am
Hi, stand by for a Whinging Limey...i suffer from the same issue in identifying the (a) strum pattern for a song. for example, an nice easy (i have learnt that my definition of easy is somewhat different to most peoples..) song is Your Love Alone Is Not Enough, Manic Street Preachers - try listening to this and identify a pattern - sure you can, now try to imagine you have just picked up a guitar and have no idea how to listen...harder heh! I am sure everyone has been through this process of learning, and that is where alot of fun is, however; i can find any number of TAB, and can form the right chords but cannot translate this to a comp / similar sound 'cos i have no idea what strum patterns relate. So, my rant (sorry but a little frustrated) question is - does anyone know of a site or information where i can find TAB with a Strum pattern shown for very very simple songs, so far i have failed (gap in the market?) Listening is not working as my brain is somewhat Lite...and banging my head on the wall does not seem to resolve the blockage, i need to find away past this initially so i can help myself learn to listen and figure out patterns, so far i am dead-ended. TAB with Strum (D DU UDU) would be a real boost for us musical dyslexics - Thanks in advance
# 4
compart1
compart1
04/08/2010 2:57 pm
Hi Ben,
I can't help you with a web site for tabs with rhythm strokes, but I did find one of my printed lesson from Lisa McCormick "Mixed Rhythms I" .. It has the up down strum stokes. The TAB is transribed by Jon Dainius, so maybe an inquerry to Lisa might get you better results..
Have a good day
Gordon
# 5
shredhead_x
shredhead_x
04/09/2010 8:26 pm
Hey TaylorSwiftYay,

Have you found anything that helps yet? I'm curious to see how you're getting along.

===

Learn to Play Guitar eBook - Free Download at http://www.guitarmusiclessons.org/
# 6
TaylorSwiftYAY
TaylorSwiftYAY
04/09/2010 9:02 pm
Not really. I think I might be getting a little better at figuring out a strum pattern myself but I haven't found any other strategies yet.
A lifetime is too short for music but music is plenty for a lifetime. I don't know who said this first and I know I'm not remembering it right, but it's SO true!
# 7
shredhead_x
shredhead_x
04/13/2010 12:32 am
Keep trying. A lot of guitar stuff is down to simple trial and error. Good luck :)

===

# 8
JStewart
I Walk the Line
JStewart
I Walk the Line
04/13/2010 3:07 am
There are several strumming patterns that encompass most songs, they are what we shall call strum #1 ,2, and 3.
Strum #1 (D Du uDu )
Strum #2 (D__Ddu uDd)
Strum #3 (D__Ddu )

This is by no means every strum that is out there but these are the 3 most common. The way I have been able to recognize which one is being used is to listen to the sounds of which end of the strings are being played. As you can see they all start with a down-stroke, the second part is also a down-stroke but can be a bit different also based on a small rest before you hit the next one. That rest is key to identifying the strumming pattern, if it is not there you have pattern #1, if it is then you have to listen a bit longer and check for the signatures of pattern 2 and 3.

Strum 2 and 3 are almost identical with strum 3 being easily identifiable by listening to the accent strum or the first down-stroke. If the first down-stroke always lands on a new note anytime there is a chord change you know you have strum #3. Strum #2 also has an extra uDd on the end. Pattern 2 can also have an extra ud at the very end lengthening it even more. I hope this helps, learning this info has helped me a ton in identifying strumming patterns of my favorite songs.
God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on”
God say, “No.” Abe say, “What?”
God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin’ you better run”
Well Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
God says, “Out on Highway 61”
# 9
TaylorSwiftYAY
TaylorSwiftYAY
04/13/2010 9:57 pm
That last post sounds useful, but I'm not sure how to make sense of the D's and u's at the beginning of the post.
# 10
JStewart
I Walk the Line
JStewart
I Walk the Line
04/14/2010 1:12 am
D or d : Down
U or u : Up
# 11
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
04/14/2010 11:13 am
What about the mix of upper & lower case? and the underscores? I'm a fairly experienced strummer and I am not sure what you mean there. :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 12
JStewart
I Walk the Line
JStewart
I Walk the Line
04/14/2010 12:39 pm
that is just a way to format the strokes so each kind of stands out and can be looked at 1 at a time, other then that there is no reason, just my way of articulating the strum. The underscores show the rest between the first down stroke and the second, which is a pretty common notation for strumming patterns.
# 13
TaylorSwiftYAY
TaylorSwiftYAY
04/14/2010 10:59 pm
That makes more sense thanks.
# 14
Lilbiker
Strung Out
Lilbiker
Strung Out
04/18/2010 1:49 am
A few things to try...I have that problem as well and I think it is common especially to newcomers, so what I do is this. If I can't figure it out, and I often I can't I go on Youtube and try and find the original artists, however often times that doesn't work either but if you watch some of the covers and/or unprofessional lessons taught there you will usually find a version that suits your needs and liking and can watch it over and over until you get it.

You can also google guitar tabs and there are some free ones, like ulitmate guitar tabs. These are posted by people like me and you, they are not licensed versions of the songs so they are not always exact, most are close and some include the strum pattern.

The strum pattern for songs are usually a pretty easy down up pattern, but the rhythm and emphasis is usually what is harder to figure out.

Google and youtube is a wealth of information and I have yet to NOT find a song that I was looking for. I went on there today as I am trying to learn House of the Rising sun, and it is here but I wanted to see the original and I found many versions that were incredible.

Try it if you haven't and you will be surprised how easy it is, there is a lot of talent out there.

Jaime
# 15
TaylorSwiftYAY
TaylorSwiftYAY
04/18/2010 8:22 pm
Thanks Jaime. But I've never found anything with the strum pattern on Ultimate Guitar.
# 16
Carmine M
Carmine M
04/19/2010 8:41 am
I know how hard it is to found out the strumming pattern. I was giving up the guitar for this. However I learnt that more then learning the strumming pattern, it is the "feel" of the songs that matters. If you hear different live versions of your favourite songs you will never find the same strumming pattern, I bet. So, I would suggest, do not try to just replicate what you hear, get the feel of it. Should be easier but rewarding anyway.

Regards,

cm

# 17
compart1
compart1
04/19/2010 12:51 pm
Hi TaylorSwiftYAY..
I think Carmine is right about the feel.. If you watch instructors, you see that most have a little body action that is related to there counting.
Maybe a skim through these tutorials will give you a little help picking up the feel..

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=14572
Essential Rhythm Guitar: Open Chord Keys and Strumming Patterns

also try relating to dancing

Good luck and keep on Strumming
# 18
Dancinbaer
Dancinbaer
05/17/2010 5:42 pm
I also agree with Carmine. Just listen to the song and get the "feel" of it. I usually start tapping my feet or hands along with the rhythm. Another thing I've found that helps is learn the lyrics to at least one verse and sing along. Then when I feel I'm close, I pick up my guitar, mute all the strings with my left hand and focus on just strumming the rhythm with my right hand. Final step is adding the chord changes. Knowing the feel of the song usually makes this part a little easier.

Denny
# 19
TaylorSwiftYAY
TaylorSwiftYAY
05/17/2010 9:33 pm
Thanks for the tips
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.