Stage Fright

shayman1
shayman1
11/13/2009 1:00 pm
Hi All
I've recently just begun gigging again after about a year off, doing mainly covers, Bon Jovi, The Killers etc..mainly rock bands and also a few of my own songs: www.squidoo.com/write-a-song, in fact I have a gig this weekend, but I for some reason have developed stage fright. I'm not sure why, I always have nerves but I think that's what gives us 'the buzz' right! It's that little rush that leads to a good night..better than sex! (well maybe that's going a bit far). I'm pretty comfortable with the songs but in rehearsal a couple of times I've forgotten words..mainly at the start of a verse..which has un-nerved me.

Anyhow I'm actually losing sleep. I did a search on google and found a few ideas to get over it but did find this download which does seem to have helped me get a grip. If anyone is interested or suffers with nerves I'll be happy to report back on Sunday after the Gig and let you know how I got on. Wish me luck:)

Here's the thing I'm pinning my hopes on:
www.beatmyphobia.com/musician-and-singing-nerves

Does anyone else have any tips?

Regards
Shayman
# 1
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
11/13/2009 3:21 pm
2 shots of tequila?
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 2
shayman1
shayman1
11/13/2009 3:26 pm
Hehe..I wish I could have a few Tequilas but unfortunately I have to drive too! Not easy being a rock star is it? I bet Bon Jovi doesn't drive himself to his gigs:(
# 3
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
11/13/2009 5:31 pm
I bet he did in his early days. None the less, 2 shots 10 minutes before you go on stage. Another two durring the break, by the end of the night you'll be all sobered up.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 4
shayman1
shayman1
11/13/2009 5:56 pm
I have to admit Rick, Tequila is a great drink! Sends me a bit 'loopy loo' though. :)Could be a big mistake but if my download doesn't hit the spot then I may give it a go. I love a few beers when I get back home though. Tastes very sweet if everything has gone well!
# 5
scrutin
scrutin
11/13/2009 6:57 pm
1) Don't take yourself so seriously. You aren't solving all the world problems, and this gig won't make or break you. You are just playing music and having fun.

2) Audiences are far less critical than you are.

3) You are up there with your band mates. People aren't only focused on you. The rest of your band can fill in the mistakes.

4) It's a live show there are supposed to be mistakes and surprises, that's what gives it character.

5) Print out the lyrics and music and put them where you can see them on stage. You may never have to use it, but knowing they are there may make you less likely to freak out.

I also never add a song into the set list I can't play drunk, but YMMV.
# 6
shayman1
shayman1
11/13/2009 7:46 pm
Hehe..
Great advice Scrutin. You're right you know. It's not the end of the world if something goes wrong. In fact it sometimes actually breaks the ice a little with the audience especially if you can make a joke from it.

I have a story:
I went to see Jeff Buckley, God rest his soul:), many years ago and towards the end of a really energetic and moving part of a song called Grace, as it was building up to an amazing grand finale he fell over a monitor and crashed to the floor. I'm not kidding, he did! The band stopped playing and went over to him to check he was OK. You could have heard a pin drop! He sort of bounced up very quickly after a few seconds and kind of dusted himself down and said this:
'Apparently, it's supposed to be character building making an idiot out of yourself in front of 1000's of people!'

When the giggles had died down he did the whole song again and brought the house down!

It might not seem that funny a line now, but at the time it was a top dollar.

Shayman

by the way, we're a duo so people are focusing on me unfortunately:)
# 7
scrutin
scrutin
11/13/2009 9:18 pm
Originally Posted by: shayman1Hehe..
by the way, we're a duo so people are focusing on me unfortunately:)

Time to get a backing orchestra ;-) Good luck with the show.
# 8
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/14/2009 3:02 pm
I haven't done a gig since '90 so I can only go by recollection and it's not that I did massive numbers of gigs or anything....So, me does not equal expert.

I guess I noticed when I was not 'down pat' on knowing a song such as new one aded to the set, I felt all kinds of nerves about it and over-thought it. It's like the first key to making errors.

I remember adding BTO's 'Takin' Care of Business' to the set. Not a complex song by any means. However, there is a good handful of fills and solo material in the tune. The rhythm was easy but it was really just a matter of days from when everyone (but me) chose to add the song to the set to when we were going to gig with the song. I pretty much learned the solo stuff but didn't have time to practice it and ingrain it in to my skull...I remember going in to the song during the few practices and then the gig just thinking 'Man, I hope I don't....' Well, you know...the alternate version of 'screw up'.

I did, royally.

I could play 'Crazy Train' fills and solos or Dokken's 'When Heaven Comes Down' without batting an eye but I had them down cold. No nerves when playing them and that made it fun. That stupid BTO song killed me (until, eventually, I had time to actually practice it.

So, the point...I wonder if, even though you practiced the stuff, do you feel you have the 'I can do it in my sleep' familiarity for the songs. Or even more to the point; you might actually have them down but do you feel that way?
# 9
compart1
compart1
11/15/2009 2:38 am
It happens to the best...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr8VEcbSw48&feature=related
# 10
shayman1
shayman1
11/15/2009 10:03 am
Originally Posted by: compart1It happens to the best...

O M G! What a Guy!
# 11
shayman1
shayman1
11/15/2009 10:23 am
Well it's the morning after the night before. I'm still on a high so sorry if I'm waffling but I thought it would be rude not to let you know how it went. It was a great gig and we're rebooked for 18th Dec so thanks to all who've been following along.

As for the stage fright, well I have to say although I was nervous I felt on my game. Yes there were bum notes here and there but in a 2, and a half hour set (including 20 minutes of encores,sorry if I sound smug:)) you'd expcect it!

Rick, I had a couple of beers which helped:)

As for the download, well I did use it, and I have to say I felt very comfortable in front of the audience so I'd say for the $12 that it cost me it was worth it, so if anyone else suffers from nerves, even if it's a best man speech, it might be worth giving it a go. Here's the link again if you can't be bothered to go back to the beginning of the post:
www.beatmyphobia.com/musician-and-singing-nerves

Stay cool guys and see you around.
Shayman
# 12
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/15/2009 12:45 pm
Originally Posted by: compart1It happens to the best...

It's interesting to see him before he starts the first song kind of meekly mumbling a few thoughts and then when he breaks in to the song, that spectacularly wonderful and strong voice just comes booming out. I will say that he really did have one of the best voices ever in rock. It was subtle, strong, tender and when he broke in to the likes of Hound Dog, the best rock n roll voice.

I think despite his condition, he shows in the video that you can either give in to the error or own it. When you own it, everyone is with you.
# 13
MIKE 95
BLACKOUT 4 EVA
MIKE 95
BLACKOUT 4 EVA
11/21/2009 11:48 pm
heyy guys.
my name is mike im 12 yrs old and live in australia.i have recently been joind to this awsome website. i 2 get stage fright somtimes .. im playing at my yr 6 formal celebration night . me and my bad (led)thats the name of the band,are performing seven nation army by the white stripes.i play electric guitar, i have a black and white squire, fender strataquaster if thats how you spell it. i hope your gigs go well and may the god of music be with you.seya around
bullet for my valentine 4 eva !!!!!!!!!
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.